PDA

View Full Version : Phantom LSD?

MADDOGJP
05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
With 20 or so autocrosses and a couple track day under my belt I realize my 89 Acoords open diff isn't going to cut it. I'm looking into the Phantom LSD kit any opinions, realiability problems or preformance issues I should know about?

racer-025
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
If you do a search in "Honda Race cars" using Phantom as your search word, you will find several posts on that topic, including pros & cons, etc.

spnkzss
05-16-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm running one right now and have been for about 15 weekends. Better than an open diff, but not recommended. It tends to leave quite a bit of metal in the case. I have noticed also that I don't get full pull to both wheels during a race. My guess is it's only about 75% effective. If you do go that route I would plan on changing the transmission fluid every weekend, just to get the metal out.

Spanky
#03 ITC Honda Civic WDCR

MADDOGJP
05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
hmm posted but some reason didn't show.
Anyway, I did do a search and not much came up except something that was biased towards the Quaife. Since the Quaife isn't available for my car I have to look into other options. If the Phantom is a bad choice what else is out there? Thanks

R2 Racing
05-16-2005, 06:02 PM
The Phantom Grip is basically a OPM or Kaaz style diff without the spring pack. The OPM and Kaaz LSD's utilize a metal block with a spring pack on the inside that acts like a clutch on the spider gears. The Phantom Grip only has the metal block. They pretty much jam a big metal block in the spider gears and it does some "clutching" but only until it grinds it all down. That's why they are known to really gum up your tranny fluid and become pretty worthless pretty quickly. Pretty quick and crude explanation but I hope I got half of my point across.

My advice to you, just get an OPM LSD. They're a good price at around $675 and you'll never be upset with it.

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

MADDOGJP
05-16-2005, 06:56 PM
The phantom does have a spring in between the blocks. I have seen the OPM site and there stuff looks good but also seems to be teh same thing as the Phantom at twice the cost. I'll have to call them to get a more info.

MADDOGJP
05-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Looks like the difference is the clutch packs. I think I'll pony up thanks

charrbq
05-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I've used the Phantom for the past five years in my ITC Civic. Never had a problem with a gummy tranny or any of the afforementioned problems. I love it! It's small and light compaired to the Quaiffe. I don't have much horsepower or torque to beat it up, though. Maybe that's the secret. But it's never been anything but great in countless test sessions and races...three of which were 6 hour enduros.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

RacerArt
05-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I have to agree with Chris, though all of my enduros have been of the 1-1/2 hour variaty. If our performance last summer at Memphis is any indication, he and I have EXACTLY the same horsepower! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

charrbq
05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
That's a fact! I'm working on that!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

BUMPnGO
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Any reviews, pro or con, on the knock off OBX LSD sold on Ebay? Thanks.

Knestis
05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Search the Roadracing/Autocross forum at honda-tech.com

K