PDA

View Full Version : Routing brake ducts on an ITC CRX

iambhooper
04-02-2005, 10:08 PM
any tips, pics, ect of what's been done? i want to route 2.5" brake ducts, and according to the GCR, cant cut holes int he tire wells. so any advice would be welcome.

regards!

------------------
hoop
Greensboro, NC
White ITC Honda CRX #4

Catch22
04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
You don't need ducts on an ITC Civic. If you do, you're either using really crappy pads or you're just using the brakes too much.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
www.motorpride.com/Catch22 (http://www.motorpride.com/Catch22)

iambhooper
04-04-2005, 06:18 AM
well we had some problems with overheating at VIR. saturday was my 2nd complete race, and sundays was my 3rd... so i'm on the brakes a little more than either of my codrivers were. the crx had a problem with heat in the left brake, which cold have been a combination of things. causing us to basically use up a set of carbotech xp8's that weekend.

since we are planing to run at Kershaw next month, i'm just looking to get as much air tothe calipers as possible.

regards!
hoop

Catch22
04-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Its best not to try to bandaid the problem, but to find its source.

VIR is extremely easy on brakes, especially in an ITC CRX. If you killed a set of Carbotech race pads in one sprint race and one enduro there, then you have a problem.

We've run 2 sprint races and 2 enduros (Road Atlanta and VIR) on a set of Cobalt Spec B pads and they aren't yet 1/2 worn. We typically get 4 to 5 weekends (depending upon the track) out of a set of pads and a couple of seasons out of a set of shoes.

CMP is the worst track in the division on brakes, and we ran 2 sprints and an enduro there last year (in 95 degree weather) and only used 1/2 the pads. No ducting.

Things for you to check...
- Rear brake adjustment - If the rears are out of adjustment, you're only using the front brakes with zero help from the rear.
- Sticking calipers - How old are your calipers? Maybe they need to be rebuilt.
- Braking too much - At VIR, this alone wouldn't explain the problem. But in conjunction with one of the above two issues it would explain it.

Good luck!

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
www.motorpride.com/Catch22 (http://www.motorpride.com/Catch22)

iambhooper
04-04-2005, 06:08 PM
we ran the test day, friday, the CCPS event and the ECR, on those pads. after the weekend, i noticed a puddle of fluid underneath the l/f tire (a marble was trapped in the piston boot) and have since replaced the calipers on both sides.

i just purchased the car in january, and have much to learn about it (its very different from the fiat!). overall, we were very happy with it's performance.

hoop

[This message has been edited by iambhooper (edited April 04, 2005).]

ITC Racer
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
On my ITC Crx I do need brake ducts when running at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. I use an inlet duct (not NACA) that is vertically mounted just below the bumper cover and in line with the bolt on lip below the bumper cover. The duct is then lined up so the hose runs along the inner metal fender liner and tucks behind the strut and the opening of the hose is directed as close as possible to the center of the rotor.

This setup works pretty well but I need to watch how much steering lock I use in the paddock area to keep from crushing the ducts.