PDA

View Full Version : what brake pads for an ITC CRX?

iambhooper
03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
i need a race pad for my ITC '87 CRX. i ordered a set of Hawk Blues... but got the wrong pads. I need the correct part number. Apparently, the 218 is not the right pad for the application.

Thanks!
------------------
hoop
Greensboro, NC
White ITC Honda CRX
Region 55

[This message has been edited by iambhooper (edited March 07, 2005).]

Greg Gauper
03-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I think the fitment number for the 1st gens CRX's is 295. Hopefully 1st gen racer Bob will chime in.

Your choices for 'good' brake pads for these cars are pretty limited.

Carbotechs are a pretty good choice for about 95% of the tracks in the country, and are reasonably priced. Unfortunately, they no longer make the pads in Hawk Blue material for our cars, only the XP9 and XP10 compounds.

However, if you run at Blackhawk, Road America (or Hallet; another brake killer I'm told) they probably won't hold up. For me, the backing plates would get way too hot and yield. I had the same problem with Porterfields own compound as well.

That said, Porterfield will make the pads in Hawk Blue compound. But if you are going to go that route, try the Raybestos ST43 compound, available from Porterfield as well. I have been running them on my G-Prod and have been very, very happy with them. They are pricey, but they do last and do work well.

The Carbotechs are a good choice if you can keep them cool enough....something I could not do at Blackhawk or Road America.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 07, 2005).]

1stGenBoy
03-08-2005, 12:14 PM
1st Gen CRX/Civics cars use either FMSI# 256 or 273. I belive your car should run the 256.Otherwise what Greg as said is true! The Raybestos ST-43 is awsome!
Check Porterfields web site for the tracings of the two pad shapes and match them up.How about this Greg. Sprints with a two car GTL team? Me and Dentici. Two converted GT-3 Cars. All i have to do is find the $$$. Keep this under your hat for now.
Bob

tom91ita
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Talk to Matt at Carbotech. He's a good guy and pretty knowledgeable. He set me up with my '85 Si. I think I use either the XP 1108 or 1109 (receipt is not handy).

http://www.carbotecheng.com

Carbotech was giving a discount for Honda Tech members/users.

tom

Greg Gauper
03-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I'll keep it under my hat under one condition.....

You gotta give me a push up that damn hill in qualifying http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

iambhooper
03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
since the race is just over a week away, i am giving in and going with another set of metal masters for this event. i have talked to carbotech some, and he recomended the panther plus. i will be running mostly at VIR, and CMP in Kershaw.

hoop

Greg Gauper
03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, Metal Masters are the same pads that were formally made by Repco and are now made by Axxis (sp?). If so, these are not too terribly bad. I ran these on my older CRX in the late 80's.

One trick I learned that really cut down on the rotor scoring from these pads was to cut a 1/16th to 1/8th inch wide slot across the pad to about 50% pad depth to provide a 'degassing' groove. Use a dremel tool or a hacksaw blade. This really made a difference in my rotor life. Note: These pads don't give off gas like older organic pads, but rather you are providing a path for the hot 'plasma' like gas from the heat of the pads.

Obviously try and fit some brake ducts, and if you haven't done so already, take off the dust shields.

Motor City Hamilton
03-10-2005, 04:14 PM
If you were running Carbotech Panther XP, would you also slot the pad?

Greg Gauper
03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I can't answer that cuz I never ran them.

Larry from Carbotech indicated that it wasn't necessary, when I tried to make the XP1109's work on my Civic.

This was just something I tried on my old Metal Masters and it seemed to help.

My Raybestos ST43's also have the slot and they also seem to be pretty easy on the rotors.

If in doubt, put the slots in....kinda like chicken soup when you have a cold....it may not help but it can't hurt http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 10, 2005).]

iambhooper
03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
i actually wound up ordering a set of XP8's for the car. they should be here next week. i will keep the metal masters as backups.

as for slotting... i will ask around about that.

thanks for the help!

------------------
hoop
Greensboro, NC
White ITC Honda CRX
Region 55