PDA

View Full Version : ITC CRX Donor

backformore
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
What are the differences between the various year models (84-87) and how is the HF different from DX models? Are all of them eligible for ITC? Is one year or model the preferred donor?

Thanks for the help. I'm looking at a few cars but I am not familiar enough to avoid making a bad choice.

Catch22
03-04-2005, 10:23 AM
The rules simply list it as "CRX 1.5" in ITC, so I assume that means the DX and HF are both legal to run.

The Si is now in ITB.

backformore
03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
So what's the difference between the DX and HF? My Chilton's seems to suggest that one of them has significalty more HP but I'm not sure how or why(I assume the HF is lower HP).

And the Si is a very tempting option for ITB.

Greg Gauper
03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
The 1.5 HF's had slightly higher CR vs the DX via different piston design, but also had an 8V head vs the DX 12V head.

The HF was the fuel miser. With the 8V head and higher CR it did make more low end torque than the DX, but much, much lower HP.

I think the rods are much lighter (weaker) on the HF, but could be wrong.

The HF engine would not be a good choice for racing IMHO. If the body was solid, it might be a worthy donor if you can find a good DX motor and tranny.

'84 HF's were a different animal in that they had 1.3L motors instead of 1.5L

racer-025
03-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Greg Gauper:
If the body was solid, it might be a worthy donor if you can find a good DX motor and tranny.

...ooooh look out, here comes the rules nerds http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

RacerArt
03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
The specs for the brake size and the CVCC cyclinder head narrows it down to the DX for ITC.

RFloyd
03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Since the spec line only lists "CRX 1.5" so shouldn't parts be interchangeable between the DX and HF models? They're both "CRX 1.5" right?

IIRC the CRX build-up in the tech photos part of this very page shows HF aluminum rear drums on a DX car, so shouldn't all other parts swaps be legal?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

------------------
Richard Floyd
'86 Acura Integra LS #90
SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

Catch22
03-08-2005, 04:07 PM
They are both listed on the same line, so its a legal update/backdate to put a DX motor in an HF.
I'm not sure if there's a real benefit there, but its legal.

If you found a cheap wrecked DX with a good motor and a good cheap HF chassis with a blown motor you'd be in business.

RFloyd
03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Oh, I know there would be no benefit what-so-ever to an HF engined car, my statement was directed to the "ooooh look out, here comes the rules nerds" comment. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

I think there might be some advantages to the HF chassis, if memory serves me right it was designed to be significantly lighter for better fuel economy. Maybe some of those trick light parts would be suitable for racing.

I'm sure all those tricks are well known by now.

------------------
Richard Floyd
'86 Acura Integra LS #90
SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

[This message has been edited by RFloyd (edited March 08, 2005).]