PDA

View Full Version : Are these parts IT legal??

jisu009
08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
So this has been a topic of debate lately...
I am of the FIRM opinion that none of these parts are IT legal.

1. Adjustable ball joints on the front Upper Control Arm. Used to gain more camber....

2. No front bumper core (the beam inside of the bumper cover that actually absorbs the impact.

3. Ground control extended top hats. Used to gain shock travel.

There are IT cars in my region that are running these parts and I am trying to figure out how to approach this without pissing people off too much.

Chris Sawatsky
08-11-2004, 04:30 PM
3)

ground control claims these are IT legal.
The shock is free, correct? The only qualifier is no RR shocks, the 2 adjustable thing, and the shock mounting points must remain as stock.
So why is the top hat illegal?

I'm pretty sure 1 is not legal, but don't know that section enough to say for sure

jisu009
08-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Ground Control says these are NOT IT legal. They do however offer a product that is IT legal and is not listed on their website. However, I am still unclear of the specifics of this product. They say it is a "threaded travel adjuster?"

The top hats are not IT legal because you are effectivly changing the stock mounting point.

Knestis
08-11-2004, 07:56 PM
1. No

2. No

3. Maybe. There was a conversation about this on Honda-Tech and I actually left it thinking that they can be thought of as part of the shock. It's a little stretch but...

K

EDIT - the issue of pissing people off is completely unrelated to what is illegal, and by "how much."

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 11, 2004).]

pavis
08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree with Knestis,

1) no
2) no
3) maybe. Again not clearly defined in the GCR. Stock mounting points are changed in only one location. Kept the same in 2 others.

jisu009
08-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Pissing people off...

It is hard to protest people who I consider mentors...people who have helped me along the way and openly shared their knowledge and knowhow.

Would Daniel karate chopped Mr. Miagi? I don't know....can anyone shed some light on how to approach a situation like this?

Chris Sawatsky
08-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jisu009:
Pissing people off...

It is hard to protest people who I consider mentors...people who have helped me along the way and openly shared their knowledge and knowhow.

Would Daniel karate chopped Mr. Miagi? I don't know....can anyone shed some light on how to approach a situation like this?

maybe point the infractions out to the violators before an official protest. Perhaps it's just ignorance of the rules? If it's not ignorance, maybe their willingness to win by cheating will cause you to lose enough respect for them that a protest won't feel like betrayal anymore

badal
08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
"Hey Schmedley, I notice you are using the adjustable bumper fluid regulator on your car. I was going to get one for mine, but Scutt Farcus tells me they re not legal, Whats your take on it?"

Possible replies:
"No, they are not legal but they give me the safety benefit of improved tire life, so go ahead and protest me"
or
"Gee, I'm not sure, let's look at a GCR"
or
"Eat me"

Danny M
08-16-2004, 09:45 AM
As for the GC mount, the shock assembly still mounts to the chassis in the exact same two holes. If its legal to shorten shocks why shouldn't it be legal to raise the shock shaft? It accomplishes the exact same thing, at a much lower price. My $.02

Turfer
08-16-2004, 12:43 PM

There are IT cars in my region that are running these parts and I am trying to figure out how to approach this without pissing people off too much.

More than one???

I know where the adjustable ball joints reside.

No clue on the bumper core although I really could care less on this one.

I haven't seen the top hats. I'll assume they reside with the adjustable ball joints.

Pissing people off...

Most of the time a friendly competitor to competitor talk can bring a car into legality. In the case of the ball joints, that discussion has been had.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Turfer (edited August 16, 2004).]

moto62
08-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Ok! To clear up #3, I spoke with someone at ground control today and he told me that the extended top hats are notIT legal as SCCA would not approve them. Didn't say why.
Ray

Knestis
08-17-2004, 01:43 PM
To muddy the waters all over again, there is NO system in place for SCCA club racing to "approve" - or "disapprove" - something like that, other than the protest and appeal process.

K

Rex B
08-17-2004, 02:18 PM
As for protesting your buddies, I suggest you find someone running the modification in question that you do not know, or preferrably, do not like http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
That would send a message to everyone in the class that you don't think it's kosher, and perhaps the stewards will agree.

moto62
08-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
To muddy the waters all over again, there is NO system in place for SCCA club racing to "approve" - or "disapprove" - something like that, other than the protest and appeal process.

K

I understand....now. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray