PDA

View Full Version : Seized Crank Pulley Bolt

Domino
07-27-2004, 09:40 PM
I've soaked it in WD-40 for three days and spent two days on it with a 480lb/ft impact gun. It will absolutely not budge. My next move is to heat the crank pulley with a torch. My only concern is that I will destroy the crank seal. Anyone have any experiences?

Fleetcare
07-28-2004, 09:17 AM
PB Blaster!

My RX7 had a bolt basically heat welded to the turbocharger. I tried wd40 and a 7 foot breaker bar. Nothing!

I then used PB and a hammer to tap gently so it could soak in. I waited a few hours and went back and removed it with a 3/8" rachet!

EV
07-29-2004, 11:49 AM
A friend of mine keeps a 3/4 drive impact around for just such an occasion...

------------------
Enjoy,
Bill

tom91ita
07-29-2004, 12:14 PM
PB Blaster is certainly the better penetrant. I made up a bracket out of ~1/4" steel and drilled it for two holes that can go through the crank pulley. Different holes for the first gen and another set for the 2nd gen.

I bolt this to the underpulley to hold it and then use the 4' pipe on the breaker bar.

il8apex
07-29-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't have experience with PB Blaster, but Kroil was a similar revelation. Puts WD40 to shame.

Not sure where to get the stuff (except off the shelf of my buddy's shop), but penetrates so well you'll never go back.

-Tom

Kazoo
07-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Just to repeat everyone else's recommendation:
PB Blaster is the stuff to use! (I live in the Rust-Belt...where PB Blaster and the Heat-Wrench get used more than Ratchets!)

As for damaging the crank-seal... I've used quite a bit of heat before, for the same job...without any problems with the crank seal...and if you do think you could have damaged it, with the pulley off, just change it!
Good Luck.

grimmer
07-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Domino:
I've soaked it in WD-40 for three days and spent two days on it with a 480lb/ft impact gun. It will absolutely not budge. My next move is to heat the crank pulley with a torch. My only concern is that I will destroy the crank seal. Anyone have any experiences?

grimmer
07-30-2004, 01:10 AM
If this is on a Honda, there's a tool for holding the hex on the inside of the pulley to keep the engine from turning. Then just lean on the bolt with about 6 feet of pipe on a breaker bar. A couple places sell the tool, but I made one out of two large metric nuts (50mm across the flats, I think for a '95 Accord, but I think the CRX hex is smaller) welded to a steel bar. The socket fits inside the nuts and you need a hole or u-shape cut in the steel bar.

I've also used a 3/4" electric impact wrench + lots of WD-40 + more heat from a torch than I thought was good!

stevel
08-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I had trouble with getting a crank pulley bolt off with a 180ft/lb impact gun (electric) and found using an impact driver helped a lot. I hit the crank pulley bolt about 5 times with the impact driver and then used the impact gun and it was able to break the bolt loose.

s

four27
08-11-2004, 04:08 PM
hit bolt with hammar straight on hard and from sides if possible. this will shock bolt and fracture seal-- usually does trick. We use this trick on tie rods and ball joints and it work everytime.