PDA

View Full Version : RADIATORS

USGUYS
05-28-2004, 12:33 PM
I am rebuilding my car after a crash. A new radiator is called for. I had no problem with the OEM radiator, but I wondered if there was any problem running some
thing else,like the aluminum VW radiator.

Greg Gauper
05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Anybody ever done any measuring/checking to see if a late model (2000 and later) Civic/Accord radiator will fit? The new cars all seem to have really nice looking aluminum radiators but I never looked to see if the hoses line up. If they are shorter/narrower, one could make a simple bracket to make it fit. If it is taller/wider you would be out of luck.

Tony, ya gonna have the car ready for the Sprints? Kevin B. was pretty quick at the Blackhawk national!!!

Domino
05-28-2004, 05:39 PM
I opted to get a CSF radiator for $120. Albeit brass, it does not have a plastic balast like the OEM. If you still have the A/C installed, the condenser fan won't clear the header unless you purchase a low profile fan like a Spal, as the radiator is twice the thickness of the OEM. Works great.

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPag...ge.asp?idProd=9 (http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=9)

Chris Sawatsky
05-31-2004, 10:38 AM
I have the CSF rad too, ran it this weekend for the first time, it works great!

Tyson
06-01-2004, 04:00 AM
ive not had problems with my CSF all metal replacement radiator. no signs of rust anywhere. plastic drain plug did break a bit making it harder to torque, but whatever. i got it from 1-800-radiators.

i did hear however that a DA integra is dual core and fits like stock in the CRX, not sure which car you are running.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited June 01, 2004).]

1stGenBoy
06-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Tony,
Fludyne makes a drop in radiator for your car. Call King they should have them in stock.

Bob

1stGenBoy
06-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Tony,
Fluidyne makes a drop in radiator for your car. Call King they should have them in stock.

Bob

B Schley
06-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Come on Tony and Mike, break down and get a Fluidyne. It fits perfectly and your temps will never get above 196. Hope you make it for the Sprints.
--Bill

1stGenBoy
06-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey Tony,
There is a Fluidyne rad for sale in the classifieds of this site! Brand new $280.00
The deal of the day for you.

Bob

racer-025
06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm using a stock rad in my CRX. Here in Canada there was only one fan on the radiator. Many US models had the dual fan setup (as in my CRX - I bring them back from the States). Here it really doesn't get hot enough for the dual fans. Are you folks using the dual fan setup down south?

Dave Hardy
06-18-2004, 04:59 PM
The single fan should work fine, even in the south. My autocross car used a single fan for a long time in Atlanta, and it makes more power than any IT Civic.

scca01
07-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Does anybody know of a good drop-in aluminum radiator for the 84-87 CRX? I have done some searching and turned up nothing.
Thanks!
-Chris

Greg Gauper
07-12-2004, 06:56 PM
They exist but are expensive. The stock unit, if in good shape works fine. A cheap Modine OEM replacement unit (from Napa or Autozone)works fine as well. The stock units will plug up after several (5-7) years and should be replaced.

FYI, on my G-Prod Civic (10:1 CR), I ran 180 all day long with a stock T-stat and stock radiator. I put in a brand new T-stat and it worked fine at the June Sprints, but a few days later it stuck closed while I was running the engine in the driveway (lucky catch!). So I decided to knock the guts out of the T-stat to act as a blanking sleeve. After that modification, I couldn't get the water hotter than 160 degrees at the Indy National two weeks ago in hot, muggy Indy weather! I will be replacing the sleeve with a smaller hole to choke off the flow to get up to 170 degrees. I run plain water + water wetter.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited July 12, 2004).]