PDA

View Full Version : Race Mufflers

almracing
03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Having been nailed for sound last year and then buying a muffler that was noisier than the original one, I am gun-shy in buying another muffler. (Nothing like losing precious track time to a sound related "meatball" flag)

What mufflers are people using on ITA CRXsi's? --1988 CRX Si And what db levels are you getting? (I may be running events other than SCCA where sound is even more of an issue.)

Anthony R.
ITA #86 NER

jc836
03-24-2004, 08:29 AM
I took our car to Meineke and had them fab the exhaust. It is 2.5" tubing with a pair of their "glaspack" style mufflers mounted together under the tunnel. We also used a CATCO cat (the car was and is still street legal although on a trailer now). The back end is a turndown near the passenger side trailing arm. I was told and can confirm that this helps with noise levels and measurements. The highest reading under power on the street was 97dB at 10 feet. At the 50foot point the reading was under 95dB. There are several ways to solve thequestion and this is but one. If you want pictures drop me an e-mail.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

SMSP
05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
My ITA headers have a 2-1/4" collector and then I run 2-1/4" tubing back to a 18" magnaflow muffler which happens to have a 2-1/2" core (they don't make one with a 2-1/4" core or else I'd use that). I then open up the outlet for a 2-1/2" dump tube.