PDA

View Full Version : '00 Civic Coupe HX in IT(?)

Quickshoe
04-08-2004, 08:32 PM
I have been out of IT type cars for a while, but my daughters are expressing an interest in karting. If they do the FFord has got to go and I might just have to play a little with the Honda then again I might just have to get a shifter.

Do you think it is a good fit in the 'new' ITA? How long from start to finish should the classification request process take? If I want to race this car in the 2006 season should I get the ball rolling now? Do I need to wait until it becomes eligible (age wise). Anyone know of anything in the works for this model?

Knestis
04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
On paper, the EX is a good fit in ITA so it seems to me that the HX should be somewhat further down the food chain. I don't know the specs right off the top of my head but how does it compare to the CX hatch of the previous generation? It's in C.

K

Quickshoe
04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Kirk, I am not a Honda guru, not even close. I don't know where it slots in versus other models and generations.

Here is the short story (most of what I know about the model)

Stock it is 115Hp and 2370# (down 12Hp and 143#'s less than the EX). I believe the engine is of a different family? It doesn't share bore or stroke with the EX, LX, DX, CX or Si. The HX has a 2mm larger bore than the EX and a 4mm shorter stroke. The HX has a stock CR of 10.6:1.

It has a much taller final drive, and I assume that the ECU must be programmed for fuel economy, as it gets much better mileage than the other civic models. Perhaps this is also why it gives up 12HP to the EX. Hopefully it doesn't have a real tall 3rd and 4th.

stevel
04-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Stock it is 115Hp and 2370# (down 12Hp and 143#'s less than the EX). I believe the engine is of a different family? It doesn't share bore or stroke with the EX, LX, DX, CX or Si. The HX has a 2mm larger bore than the EX and a 4mm shorter stroke. The HX has a stock CR of 10.6:1.

It has a much taller final drive, and I assume that the ECU must be programmed for fuel economy, as it gets much better mileage than the other civic models. Perhaps this is also why it gives up 12HP to the EX. Hopefully it doesn't have a real tall 3rd and 4th.[/B]

The HX has a CVT tranny so it doesn't have gears.

I don't think that's a good car for IT and quite expensive to start off. It's always a good idea to buy your first race car. Or if you really wanna build off that chassis I would try and find a 96-98 EX but the price is still up there. I don't think the HX would even be in ITA. Probably in ITC. I would just start with a different car and keep that one as a super economy daily driver.

steve

[This message has been edited by stevel (edited April 09, 2004).]

Quickshoe
04-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the well intented tips. As I understand it the CVT was only available on the HX, but the HX wasn't only available with the CVT.

I have been around racing for a while and know both sides of the build/buy argument. Again, thanks for trying to steer me clear of trouble.

However, if I build this car for the 2006 season I don't expect to find many 2000 Civic HX model IT cars for sale. I already own the "donor" car. I am the original owner and it has a 5sp. The HX also came with the fairly light 14 x 6 (14 x 5.5?) alloy wheels, so I don't even need to upgrade those for ITB/ITC.

If the model was classed in C at a reasonable weight it would be a no-brainer for me.

If the car was put in A anywhere above its' stock weight I wouldn't attempt it.

When should I start the ball rolling on the classification request?

Quickshoe
04-22-2004, 12:23 AM
I am trying to learn more about this model before writing my classification request.

I will get all the correct technical information for the VTS from the factory service manual, but am trying to learn what the differences are between currently classed models. Is there a good forum source for this info? Honda-Tech had a lot of conflicting information and the V-Tec forum seems dead.

Thanks

Knestis
04-22-2004, 08:40 AM
The 92-95 EX and Si are the same drivetrain in different bodies (coupe and hatch, respectively). The 96+ EX is essentially the same car with a face lift. They all have the SOHC 1.6 with VTEC. ** This defines ITA for these generations of Civic, as they are all there or headed there shortly **

The 92-95 CX is has a SOHC 1.5 and 4-speed gearbox. ** It is the newest car listed in ITC and is likely a good answer **

The 92-95 generation of DX has a SOHC 1.5 (non-VTEC) and 5-speed 'box and, while it has been in A since it was listed, it probably shouldn't be since its cousins have been moved there from S.

I don't know if that helps. I got all of my initial comparison data from the specs pages of cars.com, back when I was trying to get the big picture.

K