PDA

View Full Version : Synthetics in Honda Trans???

Motor City Hamilton
03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
I have heard bad things about running synthentic trans fluid in the Honda trans. This goes against all logic, but I hear that synthetics like Red Line are too slick and tend to leave many bent 3rd gear shift forks. I have a 1986 Honda Civic ITC with an SI trans. Any thought or experience with this?

seamus88
03-31-2004, 03:16 PM
I have been told by people in the know to use only Honda MTL. I tried Mobil 1 when I autocrossed and it did not feel right.

racer14itc
03-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Doh! I should have looked at the ITCS...the ITC Civic uses the same ratios as the Si gearbox. Ooops!

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/The Shop VW
Scirocco
Zephyr Race Coaching and Consulting
http://pages.prodigy.net/scirocco14gp

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited March 31, 2004).]

racer-025
03-31-2004, 11:01 PM
How are you running a ITC Civic with an Si gearbox? You must have meant a 1500S gearbox, eh?

Harvey
03-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by racer-025:
How are you running a ITC Civic with an Si gearbox? You must have meant a 1500S gearbox, eh?

No you can run a Si box ratios are the same just the final drive.

Redline MTL works great. I ran it in my ITC car with Mugen slip for 7 years with no problems

Motor City Hamilton
04-01-2004, 03:34 PM
I am brand new to racing. Just purchased the ITC Civic. 3rd gear was bad, so asked around and everyone said to buy an SI box for my 1986. It's going in the car this weekend, but I was told never run synthetics in these. It just sounded strange so I thought I'd check with some of you.

Catch22
04-01-2004, 07:01 PM
I ran a 94 Integra for 8 years with Redline MTL and had no problems. Currently running it in my ITC Civic with no problems.

I know this is all OPM uses in their ITA CRXs, and you can't argue with their results either.

jc836
04-01-2004, 07:27 PM
FWIW-Just spoke with Pennzoil Tech and they say that the CRX uses plain 10w-30 motor oil. I asked about using their Synchromesh fluid and was told that they will not comment. I then asked if an additive package would be appropriate and was told it is not needed. Called my Honda Tech and he agrees with Pennzoil. I cannot say that putting a tube of Molykote in the tranny will hurt it-but then I'm not a chemist. Many years ago I sold/used this product because it worked in certain American trannys.
For those with experience with a CRX Si tranny-how many hours of run time between changes using a "Synchromesh" or synthetic oil do you go. Another thing-how often have you done a full teardown. I'm curious as I prepare to rebuild an L3 (with Quaife possibly too).

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

racer-025
04-01-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't know why you guys seem to think that you need something better than what Honda recommends from the factory. I have been using a high quality conventional 10W30 motor oil in my Honda gearboxes for over 12 years of racing, and have not had any problems.

Motor City Hamilton
04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Wait. 10W30 motor oil in the trans? The auto parts store guy recommended automatic transmission fluid. I'm not sure what to run. I have a gallon of Redline synthic gear oil in the garage. Can I use that in the 1986 SI trans or do you recommend something else?

moto62
04-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Never mind the parts store guy. Check your service manual for the recommended fluid. For manual trans, most Honda's/Acura's use motor oil(recommended 10w-30). As for a recommendation, use the Honda MTF from your local Honda dealer. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

stevel
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jc836:
[B]FWIW-Just spoke with Pennzoil Tech and they say that the CRX uses plain 10w-30 motor oil.

DO NOT use regular or even synthetic motor oil. While it is the same weight and can be used it's not recommended. And certainly do not use automatic tranny fluid or regular gear oil. The Honda MTL that's available from the dealer is very good and there are quite a few who swear by it and will use nothing else in there honda trannies.

If you're going to have an LSD (or even not) Redline has another product called Shockproof that's made for LSD trannies that see high loads. It basically has an equivalent 10w30 flow characteristics but has the protection of a 75W140 oil so it really coats. Check it out here --> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlub...=61&subcatID=20 (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=86&prodID=61&subcatID=20)

It's really nice stuff. A lot of the honda guys in Speed World Challenge use it and I've used it myself. It just coats everything and really sticks. I really noticed this when I had to change an axle. The car was sitting for a while and just jacked up that side of the car. I popped the axle out and the splines were still coated with it!! I've never see that before. The lightweight one is the one you'd use for the honda trannies.

s

Motor City Hamilton
04-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks Steve.