PDA

View Full Version : CRX Si running hot 250'

p99ro
01-31-2004, 09:38 PM
My Crx 89 is running real hot oil temps the gauge says 250. It was 240 then we put a fuel reg on the car increased it to 40lbs psi from 34 psi. Power picked up but still runs hot. The gauges came with the car there not cheap gauges. I have a asump pump and radiator for the oil. Has anybody dealt with a hot oil problem. I`m new to CRX so I`m learning about the car. I would hate to blow this thing up it`s a new block that has 8 races on it.
Thanks Scott Haven 09 NER CRX Si.

Greg Gauper
02-01-2004, 11:26 AM
First off, are you sure your gauge reads accurately? Put the sensor in a pan of boiling water to confirm.

Second question, where is your sensor located? If it is in the pan, then yes, 250 deg F is not uncommon on a hot summer day with no other oil cooler other than the stock oil-to-water heat exchanger like those found on 1st gen Si's. My tired motor (ith quite a bit of blow-by would see very high temps at tight tracks where the motor was always wound up. I finally added a conventional oil cooler an my pan temps dropped 20-30 degrees. Keep in mind that your pan temps will be much, much higher than what is actually going to the bearings.

FYI, I want to add a second gauge to read after the oil cooler/before it goes back into the engine to see what is really happening. The pan temp gauge is a real good indicator that something is going bad in the motor since it will respond very quickly.

BTW, I ran for years and years in SS and early IT with no temp or pressure gauge. After I installed them, I then got very paranoid....until I realized my car had been running hot all those years.

p99ro
02-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your response. The car has a outbourd after market oil cooler.
As to placement I will check as I did not build this car. A second temp sounds good.
I will pull the sensor out soon and check it out. The last track was Lime Rock Nov 1st.
As to being a HOT summer day I wish. But it was in the 50`s. As to paronoid sure just a little.
Thanks again Scott Haven CRXSi 09 NER ITA

p99ro
02-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Greg I checked the sensor location and it is in the oil pan. So could that just mean that the high temp is due to the fact the oil is not cooled at that point and its right out of the engine block ? If so then is this temp not a danger?
Scott crx09 ITA NER

Greg Gauper
02-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Possibly.....

If you have a lot of blow-by this will also tend to make the pan temps go up.

I would install a second gauge in the oil return line from the oil cooler. Pegasus and others sells a line mounted adapter for the gauge sensor. You basically cut the oil cooler return line and install the block there. As long as the oil going to your bearings is below 210-220, you shouldn't do any damage, but I would consider running a synthetic like Mobil 1 or Redline for a bit more added protection.

I would also do a leakdown check on your cylinders. On my old engine, I had a lot of blowby past the rings. The other indicator that it is ring related is to see how quickly the temps drop when you get off the throttle. In my case, I was always amazed how quickly the oil temps dropped on a 'cool down' lap prior to pitting, basically letting the engine breath, short shifting at 5000, etc. Usually in less than half a lap the temps would drop from 250 down to 200.

Also don't forget to check the sensor for accuracy with boiling water (212F). If you can't remove the sensor & gauge from the car, use a small hot plate and pan of water under the car. Do the test at your next oil change so that you can pull the sensor when the pan is empty.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited February 16, 2004).]

uscrew96
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I'll have to say with our Crx oil temp always up at 240-260f during races.

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING

p99ro
02-19-2004, 10:17 PM
So Unscrewed. Your saying that its possible that the temp during racing is fine then.

Thanks. Scott Haven CRX 09 ITA NER

uscrew96
02-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Yes. I look at some tapes we have just to be sure. Just to let you our temp sencer is in the bottem of oil pan.

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING

p99ro
02-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Yes mine is as well.