PDA

View Full Version : Engine bearings

Phil Gott
02-12-2004, 10:30 PM
What's a good bearing to use in Honda/Acura engines? I'm told dealer's can't provide the same quality bearings that come in the engines when they are originally assembled. What brands are good and do I need to pay attention to the color coding?

------------------
Phil Gott

seamus88
02-12-2004, 11:49 PM
From what I have read from a very good builder is dont use anything but factory bearings.He is building those insane drag race motors 300 - 500 HP!

itaintegra31
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
The factory bearings are color coded and you use the codes that are stamped into the block, rods and crank to get the correct size for each rod or main, this way you can adjust the bearings so you get the exact clearences that you want. Do not use anything but the factory bearings. Aftermarket bearings are all one size. In your factory shop manual it will tell you how to find the right color bearings.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

Tom Blaney
02-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I use quality aftermarket bearing and have the crank resized to match what the machine shop ends up with during the blueprint process. This has always worked on the motors I build and will simplify the assembly process as well as allow for "loose" settings.

Just make sure you use quality bearing like Federal Mogul or similiar

Phil Gott
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks, guys. I've heard lots of stories but your advice makes sense. If I resize the crank the idea of matching it to the bearings makes a lot of sense. Never thought of doing it that way! If I leave it alone, using the color coded scheme seems like the safe way to go. Toga advertises that they "don't need the color codes," but that theory does not allow for variations in the journal and bearing bore diameters.

------------------
Phil Gott

R RACER
02-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Hey Phil, email me off line, I lost your email address, I can also help you with the info you need on the bearings.

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99

exospeed*com
02-16-2004, 07:11 AM
All of our race engines USE honda bearins. I dont know how any other Honda/Acura Race engine builder can use anything else. Honda bearings are the best. We use them according to the specs needed and never those "universal" sized ACL or other brands.

Also, in every race engine we build... we only use Acura GSR bearings. from the sohc to DOHC motors.

Jon Nelson
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
You use B18C bearings in a D16A6? And they fit?

I take it you follow the factory color codes?

Jon