PDA

View Full Version : Civic base ITC to ITA with engine/tranny/ecu swap?

eMKay
01-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Suppose I built an ITC car from a base Civic hatch (88-91) and wanted to go into ITA or HC4, can this be done with just swapping the guts into it from an Si or EX?

JeffYoung
01-01-2004, 09:27 PM
While I don't agree with teh rule, I think the answer is technically no. The car's identity is, for IT purposes, based on the VIN. If the VIN is ITC, the car stays in ITC.

eMKay
01-01-2004, 09:48 PM
I suppose I was expecting that, while doing it in a Civic offers no performance advantage, other makes and models it might.

Knestis
01-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Yup. Dum rool.

jc836
01-02-2004, 08:34 AM
The way the rule reads-you have a specific VIN and that is the basis for the engine/tranny in an ITA car. Many people would like to use the CRX HF chassis with the SI engine/tranny to cut the weight of the car-no go. We are allowed/required to alter the Si roof structure so that one will shed a few pounds that way as I did. Honda Challenge has a website and I suggest you go there and read their rules. Each sanctioning body has a different way of dealing with the issue you bring up. We bought and built an ITA/H4 car and are happy with the decision.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Greg Gauper
01-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Now if you wanted to bite the bullet and step up to Production, this is more than legal.

I converted my former ITC Civic to G-Prod by upgrading from the stock carb setup to the Si Fuel Injection setup. The other advantage is the carb'd cars don't have a sunroof to worry about.

But this isn't legal for IT.

eMKay
01-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Greg, I was thinking about moving up to production in the future, so it's nice to know it's legal there.

Greg Gauper
01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
You could always run 1 year as an IT car and then make the switch. If you haven't built the cage yet, make sure you consider the Prod requirements and add the 7th/8th attachment points which are required for Prod but are only recommended for IT. One less thing to fuss with if you make the switch.