PDA

View Full Version : Suspension travel

Domino
11-07-2003, 12:31 PM
I just installed new shocks (Koni). The fronts are revalved and shortened and the rears are revalved. I'm using Carrera coilovers and the spring rates are 500F/700R. I would like to know how much travel the shocks typically see. The car is at a 5" ground clearance. Before I move down to about 4" I looked at the front shock and noticed that at static load there is about 3" of available travel (shock body to the welded nut on the piston). After I lower it, there would probably be about 2" left. There aren't any bump stops on the shocks. Thanks.

Richy Gonzalez
11-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Mark,
While I can't tell what's a good travel length, I can tell you if you are bottoming out, then you don't have enough travel. The good old zip tie trick will let you know.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

Domino
11-08-2003, 07:03 PM
I was think of doing the zip tie trick and drive around the street. Since I haven't raced on these new shocks yet, I wanted to kind of get an idea if it will bottom before it ever does.

Tyson
11-09-2003, 10:31 AM
why not just remove the spring and move the whole suspension yourself? take your own measurements.

jc836
11-09-2003, 12:19 PM
The amount of travel should be fine at 5". Why do you want to go lower than the SCCA spec for ride height? If you are taking the measurement at the lowest point on the rocker panel then 5" is all you are allowed. You might want to do as Tyson suggests and also contact Koni directly-Lee is a CRX owner/racer and knows more about this than most.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

four27
11-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Domino:
I just installed new shocks (Koni). The fronts are revalved and shortened and the rears are revalved. I'm using Carrera coilovers and the spring rates are 500F/700R. I would like to know how much travel the shocks typically see. The car is at a 5" ground clearance. Before I move down to about 4" I looked at the front shock and noticed that at static load there is about 3" of available travel (shock body to the welded nut on the piston). After I lower it, there would probably be about 2" left. There aren't any bump stops on the shocks. Thanks.

Bump stops are a must to avoid damage from bottoming out. The wire tie trick is a must also. You can usually test shock travel in a parking lot. also I doubt you have enough spring rate, assuming this is just a track car. My Integra GSR runs 1100 rear and 900 front with a 25mm rear swaybar in ITS. If you go up in spring rate it is doubtfull your Koni shocks can handle it and they might overheat. I think I get about 2 inches of shock travel.

If you go to low you will likely bottom out the upper control arms. put some clay on the upper control arms and go drive it hard. My car measures 5 inches to jack pads.

Fleetcare
11-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I had 5.5" of ground clearance
450/650 spring rates
and had normal length shocks. (thus the extra ride height)
I had 2.75" of trvel and never hit the bump stops!

So with 3" I think your well off.

Also @ the school @ roebling one ofthe other ITA CRX's had its whels tucking into the fenders.. WAAY to low i would think.. But i suppose it worked because he beat me!(which isnt saying much)

Richy Gonzalez
11-12-2003, 02:47 AM
Fleetcare,
Don't be too hard on yourself because that CRX was way low. To the point that when they put some 50 series Hoosiers, they ruined them. All four fenders left some nice groves. Anyways, that CRX is getting sorted out and he beat me at the last Sebring race. Hopefully, it will be different 2 weeks from now!

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

Domino
11-14-2003, 06:51 PM
You remember my car at Roebling...it was the black one with all the body roll : ) What I find interesting about the ride heights of all the CRXs I've seen is that some have about an inch of wheel well gap (like I have at a 5 inch ride height measured to the jack points) and others race with practically no gap at all. Are people interpreting the 5 inch rule differently? Are they measuring 5 inches to the bottom of the visible part of the rocker panel instead of the true lowest part?

Tyson
11-14-2003, 07:03 PM
rule states "without driver, lowest part of the rocker panel, but not to include welded seams or fasteners". that means the jack point is not the point at which you measure, but the top of the jack point, where its flat horizontal.