PDA

View Full Version : carb upgrades/mods for 1500s

speedzilla
10-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Is there any other carbs that are avilable for the 1500s? Is there any aftermarket intakes or carbs for this engine. I'm also looking for some suspension upgrades for he 86 civic hatch.(adj. shocks, springs, torsion bars and any other handling pieces

R2 Racing
10-24-2003, 04:04 PM
In IT, you can either modify the stock carb or buy a Weber DMTR or DGV.

The modified Honda carb does ok and is probably the cheapest option. It's very driveable but isn't adjustable at all and doesn't make as much power. The Weber DMTR is quite driveable too and makes pretty good power. It also gives you the freedom of being able to fine tune all of the jets and such. The Weber DGV will produce the most power but it's the least driveable (doesn't like left handers very much). Like the DMTR, it can be fine tuned with interchangeable main jets, emulsion tubes, correction jets, etc.

I've driven with all of them and generally perfer the DGV - I'll take as much power as I can get in ITC. But the DMTR does real good too and can come very close in power to the DGV if you get everything set right.

edit: oh yea, forgot to answer suspension question. A lot of people get the 27mm torsion bars out of the Civic wagons. They're pretty easy to find and are pretty cheap. I have 29mm bars but they're getting harder to find. I don't run any bars up front. You might want the sway bar if you run 27mm's. In the rear, adjustable koni's with a coilover kit works real good. What spring rate is up to what you like. I run a pretty high rate but I like it real loose. I also use an adjustable sway bar in the back.

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

[This message has been edited by R2 Racing (edited October 24, 2003).]

Doodson
10-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I dont know if its legal for IT but I drilled out the main fuel jet in the bottom of the float bowl on the Canadian 1500s carb to get more fuel.
The 1300 and 1500 carbs also have 2 different sets of jets in them, so if you have a 1300 carb you can put the 1500 jets into it.

alot of suspension and other 3rd gen civic and 1st gen CRX questions can be answered at
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php

Greg Gauper
10-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I don't think the Canadian version of the carb is legal in IT in SCCA, IMHO. However, if the jets from said carb fit, they might be worth swapping to get a slightly richer mixure.

If you are just starting out, stick with the stock carb for now. You want to focus on seat time, seat time, seat time! After you get some seat time, you can deal with the finicky nature of the alternate carbs to your hearts content. Yes you will get more power with an alternate carb. The stock carb works great in the rain where you want drivability.

You can strip all the pollution control crap, remove all the choke linkages, plates, etc. and it will help the carb breathe a little bit better. Take off that restrictive metal screen. Keep the stock air filter housing with stock cold air intake since it pulls in air from the coldest source. Block off the hot air riser duct.
Run a K&N filter for an '83. It is slightly taller than the '84 and later. Remover the rubber seal from the air filter and the filter will fit with a slight gap. The only problem with the modified carb is that the engine can be a little bit cold blooded if it is cold in the mornings. Once warmed up, the car will run fine.

mkehler
10-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey Speedzilla, stay away from my wagon, I got a camera on that thing http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif