PDA

View Full Version : Spring Rates

Primo
10-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi Guys,
I have built up a 91 Honda Civic Si Hatch for road racing on the west coast.

I'm ready to buy my suspension, and was wondering what spring rates to get.

I have raced wheel to wheel for a couple of years, and feel that I'm ready for a higher spring rate in the rear setup.

What would be a good/fast spring rate setup?

Do any of you guys have the same car, and can tell me your spring setups?

How can I determine what are the proper rates? Wheelbase? Weight? Car is stripped with a custom weld in cage and is very light.

I don't know anyone else who's running my chassis.

I also realize I will have to try diff rates and test them out, but I need something to start with for next season.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris Sawatsky
10-23-2003, 10:30 AM
I'm using 500f/650r, with 7" springs

It was a vast improvement over off the shelf neuspeed "race" springs that I used to use

I'm happy with them, though some people here will tell you to go stiffer

oh, it's in a crx, not a civic

Primo
10-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Thanks man (and fellow hybrid board user).
I wonder if anyone else can add some input to this thread.

Greg Gauper
10-23-2003, 05:08 PM
FYI - Civics in general seem to tolerate higher spring rates in the rear compared to their CRX bretheren. The longer wheel base seems to make them a bit more stable and more forgiving. I would not consider 600# springs to be unreasonable, assuming you have decent rates up front to balance the car (300#-400# fronts??)

I have since migrated to production racing and am currently at 800# rates for my '84 Civic rears and the car is still quite easy to drive, not the least bit 'knife edged' like some CRX's get and are certainly within my humble talent level if you get my drift.

I would suggest that you outfit your car with an adjustable rear sway bar and use this to fine tune the balance. Springs are relatively cheap ($100-$120/pair) so you could buy several sets of springs and test to your hearts content, but I suggest that you make rear spring changes in 200# increments and soften your rear bar each time you change to higher rates. Then stiffen the bar as you get used to the cars handling. When you run out of rear bar adjustment, go up another 200# and soften the rear bar again. You can always sell your old springs on e-bay to the Solo guys or to another racing newbie and recoup some of costs of the springs.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited October 23, 2003).]

Primo
10-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey thanks Greg.