PDA

View Full Version : Radius rod bearings

Domino
10-18-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm in the process of installing rod bearings. I know how to install them in stock form. But what I was wondering was how do they allow for caster adjustment? Do I simply put the bearing on the front side of the mounting point and push forward on the lower control arm? Tom (OPM) said that I could get all the positive caster I wanted out of them. Something just doesn't seem right. Thanks.

Tom Blaney
10-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Domino:
I'm in the process of installing rod bearings. I know how to install them in stock form. But what I was wondering was how do they allow for caster adjustment? Do I simply put the bearing on the front side of the mounting point and push forward on the lower control arm? Tom (OPM) said that I could get all the positive caster I wanted out of them. Something just doesn't seem right. Thanks.

The caster is adjusted by the amount of shims (or lenght of the spacer tube) that is used on the radius rod itself. I also sell improved radius rod bushings, and during installation, you should leave the bushing out once it's on the ground, move the wheel to get close to the proper caster and then measure the spacing from the radius rod lip to the bushing. Keep in mind all the busing is doing is replacing the rubber bushing.

Tom Blaney
shameless plug -- http://www.sbmsinc.com/race_shop.html

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited October 19, 2003).]

Domino
10-20-2003, 04:01 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
[b] during installation, you should leave the bushing out once it's on the ground, move the wheel to get close to the proper caster and then measure the spacing from the radius rod lip to the bushing.

Thanks for the quick response Tom. I don't know why I didn't think of shortening the tube. After I turn the wheel 20 degrees and measure the distance from the rod lip to the bearing, that will yield the stock caster setting, correct? If I wanted to increase the caster by shortening the shim/tube, I can't get the control arm to move much in the forward direction. If it moves too far forward the shock fork holes won't line-up with the control arm holes.

[This message has been edited by Domino (edited October 20, 2003).]