PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problem

Simon
10-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey,

Ok, I recently got back my rebuilt head, included a valve job, new seals, and other things on my 1989 Honda Civic Std. 1.5 liter fuel injection car, it has no fuel injectors, its like a carb. So I spent all day yesterday putting it back together, and this morning putting in oil, spark plugs, etc. So when I fired it up..... bang it went on, BUT I had to spray starter fluid in to make it start, then it would stall. It would not idle, or keep running if I tried with the gas. The motor sounded very very good, loud http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif but wouldnt keep running. I checked all wires, I believe they are in the right spot, I am pretty certain, I checked fuel pump, it has alot of pressure. I have no clue what to do! Any ideas?? Please help!!!!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif I can show pics if needed.

Simon

loboracer
10-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Sounds like you might have a vacum leak. Engine will start, but not idle unless under power.

Tom Blaney
10-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by loboracer:
Sounds like you might have a vacum leak. Engine will start, but not idle unless under power.

I second that one, sounds like a vaccum leak, or possibly timing, but if check for leaks first

moto62
10-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Simon, if you need starting fluid to make it start, then you're not getting any fuel. Use a noid light to check the wire harness to the injector, to see if it is getting a signal from the computer. If the light blinks while cranking the car but no fuel sprays,then the problem could be a bad injector. If no blinks from the light, then the problem could be in the wireing to the ECU or the ECU itself. Hope this helps.
Disclaimer: I'm not a guru at this by any means but this bit of info may be useful http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

itaintegra31
10-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Simon,

If the engine will run but not idle it may be one of two things, either one of the injectors on the throttle body, there are 2 injectors on your throttle body, is not working or your cam timing is off, since I asume that it ran before you took the head off I would lean towards tha cam timing being off, an engine will run off idle with the cam timing off but when you try to let it idle it will stall.

If you need any other help let me know I am a facotry trained honda tech and own an auto repair-race shop.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

[This message has been edited by itaintegra31 (edited October 06, 2003).]

rage_racing
10-06-2003, 12:26 PM
ron where are you located and will ya work for beer lol

itaintegra31
10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Rage,

My shop is in northern California, and the right kinda of beer and lots of it would work.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

Simon
10-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, let me make sure you all understand I have no power, the motor will start, and only run if starter fluid is sparyed into it, if I push the gas, it does nothing, it will kind of make a little papapap sound then shuts off.

Simon
www.simontibbett.evaluand.com (http://www.simontibbett.evaluand.com)

rage_racing
10-06-2003, 05:26 PM
the beer aint a problem its the drive to cali ... from Ohio the wife would kill me
I can see it now honey I am gonna go to cali to drink lots of beer and work on my car....
sounds like a plan if you dont mind a roommate as well... lol

Simon are you sure the fuel pump is pushing fuel???its the simple sheit that gets us everytime

itaintegra31
10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
If it will only run on starter fluid, you have no fuel being delivered, either the injectors are not being signaled to fire or you do not have enough fuel pressure, you should be able to take the top off of the throttle body and have someone crank the engine over with the throttle wide open and see fuel coming out of the injectors in a fine mist,if you don't see any fuel thats the problem and could be a lot of different things,but most likly it is a conection problem on some part of the electrical system that you had apart when the head was off.If you see fuel going into the intake manifold through the throttle body, it still might be cam timing, starter fluid will fire an engine with the cam timing off enough to keep it from starting with just gas. By the way don't use any more of that starter fluid it is very bad for an engine.

Good luck.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

itaintegra31
10-06-2003, 05:51 PM
opps

Simon
10-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Hey,

Well I loosened the bolt on the fuel pump and it shot fuel everywhere. Does anyone here know how these motors should look? If so please post your e-mail if you dont mind and I will send you a few pics to see if anything is missing off or misplaced. Thanks!

Simon

itaintegra31
10-06-2003, 06:18 PM
[email protected]

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

Furball
10-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Is this a carbed motor or FI. If it's fuel injected, maybe the fuel rail is cloged. Just a thought

------------------
I hate Stupid people!