PDA

View Full Version : Need oil pan help

Bob Roth
10-07-2003, 08:16 PM
On hard right turns, for example turn 6 at Blackwawk and turn 3 at Gingerman, I am starting to see the oil pressure dip from a normal 60 down to about 30 psi. My thought is that I am uncovering the oil pickup. This is in a ITA '88 CRX si which I have raced for 10 years. This is the first that I have seen this problem.

I checked the bearings and they are showing some stress. I inspected the pan and pickup and I couldn't see a problem. I am curious, is anybody seeing this and/or have any suggestions on alternate sumps or sump modifications.

thanks
bob

Greg Gauper
10-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Years ago on my old 84 CRX, I would see the oil light flicker (I didn't have a gauge back then) going thru sharp LEFT handers such as turn 5 at Road America. This makes sense since the oil pickup is on the left side of the motor. I never saw problems with right handers....

I think the '88 has the pick-up located on the same side so that is strange that you would have problems going thru 6....unless you were really starving as a result of turns 4 and 5 and it just took that long to recover by th etime you got to 6. Just a guess. Some people run an Accusump with good luck. I run a Moroso baffled pan with 5.5 qt capacity with very good luck. Lots of people run stock with no problems, including ex-Firehawk cars that ran 12/24 hour enduros stock. By any chance is the pickup cracked/loose/blocked? Check the screen. I've got over 40 races on my 84 Civic and when I checked the rod bearings this spring, they looked like new. This is after 3 years of a stock pan and 2 years with the Moroso pan.

Bob Roth
10-08-2003, 12:37 AM
I appreciate your reply. I believe your sump configuration is the same as mine. I wasn't sure if the Moroso pan was a good piece for road race. I am glad to hear that it is working well for you. I should mention that this problem got my attention when we ran the 10 hour race at gingerman over Labor Dayand after an hour I saw saw dipping oil pressure on right hand turns and unusual oil consumption on our 2.5 hr shifts. The funny thing is the oil consumption and oil pressure problems went to zero once the rain ( and minimal G-force) set in . At blackhawk the oil pressure dipping (this was my first race on the repaved track) was something unusual but in a 1/2 hour race it wasn't much of a concern as little oil was consumed.

As to oil starving on lefts, all I can say is that I saw no problems through blackhawk 4 and 5 so its hard for me fo figure how it could hold pressure though there and then starve just on the apex of 6.

On the otherhand, if I had all the answers I wouldn't have to ask the questions....My one thought is that the tires are getting so much better than the firehawks which I raced on in 90 and 91. As I recall from those years, we called em "flintstones". You have to wonder if the modern near IT tires are getting into the G forces of full race tires and as such beyond the limits of the original wet sump systems. Hmmm. I will look into the Moroso sump and see if they have on for the D16. Thanks for your reply
bob

Originally posted by Greg Gauper:[quote]Originally posted by Greg Gauper:
Years ago on my old 84 CRX, I would see the oil light flicker (I didn't have a gauge back then) going thru sharp LEFT handers such as turn 5 at Road America. This makes sense since the oil pickup is on the left side of the motor. I never saw problems with right handers....

I think the '88 has the pick-up located on the same side so that is strange that you would have problems going thru 6....unless you were really starving as a result of turns 4 and 5 and it just took that long to recover by th etime you got to 6. Just a guess. Some people run an Accusump with good luck. I run a Moroso baffled pan with 5.5 qt capacity with very good luck. Lots of people run stock with no problems, including ex-Firehawk cars that ran 12/24 hour enduros stock. By any chance is the pickup cracked/loose/blocked? Check the screen. I've got over 40 races on my 84 Civic and when I checked the rod bearings this spring, they looked like new. This is after 3 years of a stock pan and 2 years with the Moroso pan.

R RACER
10-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Canton Racing makes a sweet baffled pan for you car, contact Thoer he can help you out.

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99