PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Race Cars

racins4
03-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Do Honda Preludes make good IT race cars. I have 1986 Prelude SI 2.0 and would like to turn it into a Race Car.

TypeSH
03-20-2003, 09:33 PM
5th gens make pretty good ITS cars. In my first race two weekends ago I got second place and had the fastest lap time.
http://home.attbi.com/~davidrierson/wsb/media/80985/site1022.jpg

gran racing
03-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Until this year there have been no 2nd gen preludes racing in SCCA. And yes, I have a 1987 Honda Prelude si. So far, I have been using it as HPDEs but did not prepare it for SCCA racing. I went throught the classification process, unfortunately it is in ITA not ITB. Quite honestly it may not be the choice car if you have several different types of cars to choose from. There are a few cars that seem to dominate ITA, but it should be a pretty decent car. The negitave thing about the car is that it can be a bit difficult to find race parts. The positive thing is I have done a lot of research to find what we need to be competitive. I'd be more than happy to help you. I'm sure you can give me some good ideas too.

I feel that the suspension for our car is going to be the key. I am presently having a Leda suspension unit custom built for the 2nd gen prelude. They took my stock suspension and made the appropriate measurements, and are now building the units. I can't wait to get them installed! I will be purchasing an ADDCO rear sway bar sometime next week. I also begged DC sports to run another production of their exhaust headers. I actually just installed it last week. I'm using a weapon R intake, a 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe with a racing muffler. I chose the car for a similar reason you are considering it; I already had it.

I have a copy of the VTS documents you would need to classify the car. You could just white out the '87 and write in '86. Let me know if you want any additional info.
(e-mail [email protected]) So, where are you from?
Dave

joseph
03-29-2003, 03:33 AM
I saw in a recent Sports car' that 2nd gen si's were in ITA. I would be very interested in how you do good luck.
Any advantages of the injected engines over the carbed ones? It seems you would have more after market support and easier tuning with a carbed car.
I currently have a love-hate relationship with my daily driver 86 si. (Apparently the inspiration for the prelude occurred after a Honda engineer caught a Honda mechanic sleeping with his wife.) I have always secretly wanted to turn it into a 4 cylinder dirt oval car (I have heard of a number of 2nd gen preludes being fairly successful), but I don't have the cash, or the balls to do it.

rage_racing
10-07-2003, 10:39 PM
more prelude guys do exist

I am building an 86 prelude right now but I am behind the 8 ball a bit more I am using the 1.8L carb engine ..
so any help from you honda guys would be greatly appreciated