PDA

View Full Version : carb problems

speedzilla
09-27-2003, 01:31 AM
does anyone have a tip on how to keep my carb from sputtering on my 1500s when I'm half way into a hard turn? Are there any other carbs or intake setups that will still allow me to run in my stock road racing class?

Greg Gauper
09-27-2003, 10:58 AM
If you are talking about the stock 3bbl carb on an ITC CVCC head, make sure the float level is properly adjusted. The screw is located on top under the air filter. There is a sight gauge on the left side of the carb. Make sure your fuel filters are in good shape. There are two, one before the carb but after the fuel pump, and one at the tank (pain in the but to get to, I moved mine to the engine side firewall so I could ispect it more easily.)

New floats and seats are pretty cheap. If the carb is old and grungy, try a new one.

Next is the power valve. That's the little bronze gizmo with the pin sticking up in the bottom of the float bowl. Use a thin wall socket to remove.

Lastly (and you won't like this) some of the old carbs just flat wear out. I spent one and a half seasons chasing down a similar problem. I sent it out for cleaning, tried every adjustment under the sun, confirmed that the problem wasn't float related by switching the suspect 'bad float' i.e. top half onto another bottom half belonging to a friend and problem went away. Untimately, I fixed problem for good by breaking down and buying a brand new carb from Honda. Car ran great.

If you are referring to Webers, others will have to chime in. I know they are sensative to float, jetting, fuel pressure, phases of the moon, planetary alignment, etc.