PDA

View Full Version : Canadian non CVCC head on a 3G

garrmark
08-28-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm told that the Canadian head for the 3rd gen Civic is non CVCC and produces slightly more horsepower, does anybody have any experience w/ this?

[This message has been edited by garrmark (edited August 28, 2003).]

R2 Racing
08-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Yes, this is true. But, wouldn't this just make it an Si head? Besides, it's not legal anyway. The GCR explicitly states on the notes line "CVCC Cylinder head" for the ITC '84-'87 Honda Civic HB/sedan and CRX.

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

garrmark
08-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Yea that's pretty clear isn't it. Is port matching the only legal mod to the head for ITC?

Doodson
08-28-2003, 11:48 AM
I live in Canada and have a GT4 1985 Civic but there was a ITC civic from Washington US at our last race who had the Canadian Head on it and running ITC. HHMMMM I'd check the rules again.

Chris Doodson

Greg Gauper
08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
The CVCC head IS the only legal head permitted in ITC! The ITCS specifically calls out the CVCC head in the specs.

Your friend from Washington is not legal! (Unless you have different rules in Canada and this person swapped heads strictly for this event)

This is very easy to spot. The spark plugs on the CVCC head are at or near 90 degree angle vs aproximately 45 degrees for the Si/non-CVCC head.

The other method involves pulling the valve cover. Small Auxiliary valve = CVCC head. No auxiliary valve = Si/non-CVCC head.

Doodson
09-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Greg Gauper:
The CVCC head IS the only legal head permitted in ITC! The ITCS specifically calls out the CVCC head in the specs.

Your friend from Washington is not legal! (Unless you have different rules in Canada and this person swapped heads strictly for this event)

This is very easy to spot. The spark plugs on the CVCC head are at or near 90 degree angle vs aproximately 45 degrees for the Si/non-CVCC head.

The other method involves pulling the valve cover. Small Auxiliary valve = CVCC head. No auxiliary valve = Si/non-CVCC head.

I could care less cause he is slow and not in my class but I will double check the head on the car. Maybe I saw it wrong and he only had the Canadian intake and carb on the CVCC head????

Greg Gauper
09-03-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't think the car would run with a Canadian carb AND intake, since there would be nothing to feed the prechamber port and thus no ignition. On the CVCC head, the prechamber is fed by the carb third barrel and ignition takes place within that port, and then the flame front travels out a teeny-tiny hole in the head to the main chamber.

You might get the carb to work on the standard head but you'ld need an adapter to allow the pri/sec barrels to feed the prechamber, like that used for down draft Webers.

R2 Racing
09-03-2003, 10:03 PM
...travels out a teeny-tiny hole in the head....
[/B]

Haha, I've melted my fair share of those prechambers and f'ing holes. Man I hate those things. Hey Greg, drop me a line - the Runoffs near.

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Doodson
09-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Greg Gauper:
I don't think the car would run with a Canadian carb AND intake, since there would be nothing to feed the prechamber port and thus no ignition. On the CVCC head, the prechamber is fed by the carb third barrel and ignition takes place within that port, and then the flame front travels out a teeny-tiny hole in the head to the main chamber.

You might get the carb to work on the standard head but you'ld need an adapter to allow the pri/sec barrels to feed the prechamber, like that used for down draft Webers.

I dont know anything about those CVCC heads cause when we see them in Canada ,the hole head and carb is just ripped off and thrown away. (there crap) To hard to get working good.
I will check that car just for fun to see what he has.

I guess that means my Canadian car can not run in ITC ???? with the Canadian Head?