PDA

View Full Version : cam timing

tucker
06-25-2003, 11:48 PM
ita 91 honda crx si 1.6, what is optimal. Advancing a tooth on the stock cam gear, retarding or seting to original position.
your help is appreciated

joeg
06-26-2003, 07:54 AM
A full tooth???

Don't think so. If you happen to have a selection of offset keys, you may experiment.

I believe that retarding increases top end; advancing, low end...not sure though.

I have heard that you should seek to get things at O if you have shaved the head or decked the block.

One idea is to put in offset keys and use a compression gauge and see which way the compression readings go.

Another idea is to put it on a dyno with one of those Vernier pulleys and see where your highest results land up, then put the stock pulley back on and match--or attempt to match--the settings with offset keys.

Good luck.

itaintegra31
06-26-2003, 11:16 AM
You want to set the cam timing at 0, through dyno work Comptech has found that Honda engines run best at the factory settings, if your head is milled you may need off set keys to get it to 0.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

tucker
07-09-2003, 10:44 PM
thanks for info the haynes manual just falls short on a few details. Anyway I found after adjusting distributor & cam forward and back, that stock timing sounded & felt by far to be the best. The offset key anybody know of a source?
thanks guys