PDA

View Full Version : header

volante
05-19-2003, 10:10 PM
I have(had)a DC Sport 4-2-1 header that needs replaced,I am happy with its performance,just had to wonder if anyone can give me any real reason not get another one.Should I look at a different brand--or go to the 4 into one DC--or stick with what I had.The 4-2-1 fits under the car great-I would hate to lose any ground clearance.Price is an issue-so do not send me to some $800 header guru.

Oh and by the way the new final drive rocks,I wish I had gotten it sooner.Looking forward to November.

Dave V
Mid-Div CRX#43

jc836
05-20-2003, 08:33 AM
IMHO-stick with the DC. That is what I have along with an AEM short ram and they work nicely together. I have yet to dyno the car, but the engine really runs well in the 4500-7000 range. I would not suggest a 4-1 as it is more for the upper end of the power band.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Tom Blaney
05-20-2003, 08:51 AM
I have tried the 4-2-1 and the OPM 4-1, and based on dyno and driving tests, the 4-1 is the hands down winner.

greg_umbay
05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
I guess the answer is in a question, where do you want the power gain? Very genereally speaking the DC 4-2-1, which I also have, delivers gains in the mid-range. The 4-1 delivers gains more on the top end. At least that is what I remember from my research.

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

volante
05-20-2003, 11:57 PM
I think I am going to order the DC 4-2-1.Without a dyno to really verify exactly what, my small brain research says to stick with the tried and true.I have talked to many crx people,most say stick with it,cost, fit and good power throuhout the range make it a fine choice.Plus with the new final drive this year,I can keep better track of what improvements I have made to the car(instead of throwing a bunch of stuff at the car and trying decide what's really helping).The final drive has made the car totally different--I might try a different header over the winter.I am interested what you found out Tom( with your research that is)
Any luck with running Hoosier 225 just in the fronts?
I am on 205 on all four corners now but might try that 225-205 combo later this year.

Dave V.
#43 mid-div

lb2
05-21-2003, 07:49 AM
The best header for the CRX is made by Walt Pucket and it is the same that OPM sells and we sell them to, you can run 225 on all 4 corners and that is the better than 205.

Louis B.

Fleetcare
05-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by lb2:
The best header for the CRX is made by Walt Pucket and it is the same that OPM sells and we sell them to, you can run 225 on all 4 corners and that is the better than 205.

Louis B.

how much does walt want for them ?

Tom Blaney
05-21-2003, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with Lou, the 4 into 1 is a much better header for a LEGALLY MODIFIED engine. I have done a fair share of dyno runs with the 4 to 1, and it has a much flatter torque/HP curve that the 4-2-1, and keeps the power in the 55 to 69 range, which in turn works better with the 4.8 ring/pinion, & lsd.

As far as the 225's go, I couldn't get them to fit under my fenders without different offset rims, and IMHO the tire patch/diam. didn't seem that great.

lb2
05-21-2003, 09:58 PM
I sell the Pucket header for $425.00

call me if you want one 1-888-346-7266

Louis

Bob Roth
06-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Does the OPM header mate with the stock exhaust connector/pipe. If not, does its price include a new shortpipe?

thanks

Originally posted by volante:
I have(had)a DC Sport 4-2-1 header that needs replaced,I am happy with its performance,just had to wonder if anyone can give me any real reason not get another one.Should I look at a different brand--or go to the 4 into one DC--or stick with what I had.The 4-2-1 fits under the car great-I would hate to lose any ground clearance.Price is an issue-so do not send me to some $800 header guru.

Oh and by the way the new final drive rocks,I wish I had gotten it sooner.Looking forward to November.

Dave V
Mid-Div CRX#43

SMSP
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
A few things that help a 4-1 header maintain good mid range while still doing well in the higher rpms are stepped primaries and a properly sized collector. Here's a link to the header I build for the ITC cars. You'll notice the stepped primaries and longer length primaries for this engine since it's not rev to the rpms of say a vtec engine. The 4 primaries tubes are cut/welded inside the collector to form a psuedo merge versus just cutting the 4 tubes square and filling in the center void with sheet metal.

I also have the primary tubes custom mandrel bent so there are no butt welds. I bring the tubes out straight for the #1 and #2 cylinders to promote flow versus immediately turning these down. I can also ensure the lengths of the tubes are closer in length.

The collector is rolled and formed to provide a smoother taper than a formed collector. Another benefit of this is that it can be sized to the needed throat diameter of the application and then opened up to the final collector diameter based on engine output. Other formed 4-1 collectors are sized not based on the engine output but on the feasibility of forming a certain size of tubing to accept 4 tubes of a given diameter before the tubing splits.

Some ITC headers have 2-1/2" collectors which is far too large for an engine approaching only 85whp. I use 2-1/2" collectors on the 1.8L VTEC engines producing upwards of 220whp. All a 2-1/2" collector will do on an ITC engine is hurt mid range. I use a 2" collector with a donut flex joint like the stock set up.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289960293

[This message has been edited by SMSP (edited June 10, 2003).]

ITAIntegraLS
06-10-2003, 01:35 PM
How can I reach you I want to know how much for a good header for a ITA Integra 1.8 . You can Email me at [email protected]

Originally posted by SMSP:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289960293

[This message has been edited by SMSP (edited June 10, 2003).]