PDA

View Full Version : Which Red Line product to use for transaxel?

gran racing
04-26-2003, 10:00 PM
I need to replace my transaxel fluid. Which of the Red Line products do you suggest? Thanks.

philstireservice
04-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by gran racing:
I need to replace my transaxel fluid. Which of the Red Line products do you suggest? Thanks.

use Amsoil

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST2
www.philstireservice.com
www.imprintedorginals.com

Tom Blaney
04-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Take it from experience (three broken shift forks later) DON'T use Redline or any of the synthetics )in the gearbox. Trust me Redline is GREAT STUFF, but in a Honda gearbox, it just doesn't work. Use standard motor oil with maybe a little bit of 90wt gear oil for comfort. I switched back to factory recommended oil from synthetic and I haven't broken a shift fork since.

lb2
04-27-2003, 08:38 AM
Tom, when I had my CRX I broke 3 forks within one year and guess what!! I was using Red Line, I guess you are correct.

I am using Motul now and I am a dealer for them in Florida and as you know the brake fluid that the have is great and also the engine oil and the gear fluid is good to.

Louis

gran racing
04-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your advice! I'm glad I asked. I had some difficulty getting it into 4th gear at NHIS, but was somewhat spuratic. When I try it driving on the street, it works fine. At first I thought it was because I wasn't using enough finesse, but it repeated itself (occasionally). Some people told me that changing the transaxel fluid may help with this. I was in shock when I looked at my shop manual to see that they recommend changing it every 30K miles! Well, I guess 190K is well over due! I'm assuming the previous owner never did this... I just hope it isn't a more serious problem.

R RACER
04-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Ditto use only o.e. Honda trans fluid, or worst case 10/30 Mobil 1.

philstireservice
04-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
Take it from experience (three broken shift forks later) DON'T use Redline or any of the synthetics )in the gearbox. Trust me Redline is GREAT STUFF, but in a Honda gearbox, it just doesn't work. Use standard motor oil with maybe a little bit of 90wt gear oil for comfort. I switched back to factory recommended oil from synthetic and I haven't broken a shift fork since.

Why would synthetic cause the shift fork to break? I need an education about this ...please help!!!

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST2
www.philstireservice.com
www.imprintedorginals.com

volante
04-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Honda tranny oil or Mobil 1.

Volante

Tom Blaney
04-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by philstireservice:
Why would synthetic cause the shift fork to break? I need an education about this ...please help!!!

My understanding is that it has something to do with heat disipation. Although nothing looked bad in the box, I even tried brand new forks and they still broke. Went to standard oil and things have been fine since.

Richy Gonzalez
04-28-2003, 12:41 PM
So far, I've used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic without any problems with a stock gear box which had 122k miles prior. While I have replace the fluid a couple of times already, my gear box has been through a track day at Sebring, 2 schools at Roebling Roads, 1 Enduro at Daytona, a double at Sebring and a double at Morosso. Over 20 hours of track time with mobil 1.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
Racecar Sponsor: LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

UltimateGSX
04-28-2003, 03:38 PM
I always use this in may CARS. BG syncroshift
specifically designed for FWD/AWD Transmissions and it works great in racing enviroments.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm

Originally posted by Richy Gonzalez:
So far, I've used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic without any problems with a stock gear box which had 122k miles prior. While I have replace the fluid a couple of times already, my gear box has been through a track day at Sebring, 2 schools at Roebling Roads, 1 Enduro at Daytona, a double at Sebring and a double at Morosso. Over 20 hours of track time with mobil 1.

ITSRX7
04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
You guys usning standard Mobil 1 motor oil? I wonder if I could switch in my RX-7...I am running the RL stuff now.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

JIgou
04-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by UltimateGSX:
I always use this in may CARS. BG syncroshift
specifically designed for FWD/AWD Transmissions and it works great in racing enviroments.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm

And available at your local Chevrolet dealer....

Jarrod
(Redline MTL in the Miata)

four27
04-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Richy Gonzalez:

four27
04-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Stick with factory Honda oil. I also had transmission troubles using redline.

civicrr
06-02-2003, 02:46 AM
For those who didn't like the RL in the tranny, what product were you using, eg motor oil or a manual tranny product? Were you using the MTL or Shockproof gear oil?

Thanks.

Tyson
06-02-2003, 03:37 AM
btw, another question since this thread popped back up again. do you guys still recommend Honda MTF for trannies with clutch LSD like Kaaz, OPM, or Mugen? Actually I believe in the statements that Honda MTF works the best and have been using it always, even on my OPM lsd tranny. Seems to work fine, but my Mugen LSD which I've yet to install has saying it needs a specific weight (which i dont know off the top of my head). I'm wondering what other ppl think how it will really affect the use of the LSD.

pavis
06-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I believe that the honda "manual transmission fluid" for the CRX is simply motor oil.

davew
06-03-2003, 08:48 AM
MTL is NOT motor oil in a new bottle. It may look, feel and smell like motor oil, but chemically it is very different. It has very different shear and adhesion properties. I use Redline Light Weight Shock Proof gear oil exclusively in my club cars and our pro racing cars and have never had a failure that could be attributed to the lubrication. In fact, I have had a number of older and cranky street gearboxes whose worn syncros found new life by changing out the motor oil or MTL added by the previous owner and replacing with the shock proof. The name says it all...its called shock proof for good reason.

All you need to do is pull the case of a tranny that had each in it and you can clearly see the differences.

-davew

Tom Blaney
06-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by civicrr:
For those who didn't like the RL in the tranny, what product were you using, eg motor oil or a manual tranny product? Were you using the MTL or Shockproof gear oil?

Thanks.

I was using MTL, and then went back to Mobil 1 with a touch of 90 wt.

Problems solved in that one single step.

ITAIntegraLS
06-03-2003, 02:12 PM
The only oil that I put in my tranny is BG Syncroshift. I have it in the car for 4 weekend allready and it works perfect. No more grinding or missed shifts when i used mobil 1 in the tranny. Stick with honda MTL or get yourself some BG Syncroshift.

ITA Integra LS
Edo

Originally posted by Tyson:
btw, another question since this thread popped back up again. do you guys still recommend Honda MTF for trannies with clutch LSD like Kaaz, OPM, or Mugen? Actually I believe in the statements that Honda MTF works the best and have been using it always, even on my OPM lsd tranny. Seems to work fine, but my Mugen LSD which I've yet to install has saying it needs a specific weight (which i dont know off the top of my head). I'm wondering what other ppl think how it will really affect the use of the LSD.

lb2
06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Dave, is the shock proof kind of green/gray color ???? when I drained my Delsol Gearbox the oil came out of it was sort of green/gray color.

Louis

gran racing
06-03-2003, 10:40 PM
When I went to the honda dealership, I compared the trany oil versus their regular oil. I spoke with a few people at the shop; they said that the oil and "trany" oil are the same exact thing. This got me curious. I contacted another honda dealership who told me the same thing. I do think that it is strange having two different packages if there truely are no differences, but then again that's the power of marketing.