PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Position

dyg2001
05-02-2003, 02:05 AM
My EG Civic has a short shifter. It locates the shifter knob too far forward. My driving position is dictated by the knob. I'd like to have my knob farther back and higher, nearer the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel. Then I could move my seat back, and put a spacer on my wheel. Any suggestions?

philstireservice
05-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by dyg2001:
My EG Civic has a short shifter. It locates the shifter knob too far forward. My driving position is dictated by the knob. I'd like to have my knob farther back and higher, nearer the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel. Then I could move my seat back, and put a spacer on my wheel. Any suggestions?

I believe short shifters are illegal.....

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST2
www.philstireservice.com
www.imprintedorginals.com

jc836
05-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Short shifters are illegal. You can modify the stock handle in a nuber of ways above the pivot. I would think that since the knob is "free" you could screw on an extension shped to go where you want it. Then again you can bend the stock piece as well.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

dyg2001
05-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks.

breaka_1_9
05-16-2003, 02:11 PM
i was wondering if anyone has changed their shifter to be more rally-esq? like make it very long (so its higher up) so you just need to move your hand to the right and down a tiny bit?

would this be beneficial at all?

[This message has been edited by breaka_1_9 (edited May 16, 2003).]

Domino
05-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by breaka_1_9:
i was wondering if anyone has changed their shifter to be more rally-esq? like make it very long (so its higher up) so you just need to move your hand to the right and down a tiny bit?

would this be beneficial at all?

[This message has been edited by breaka_1_9 (edited May 16, 2003).]

Rally type shifting (WRC type stuff) is different because although the shifter is taller so it's closer to the driver's hand, they use sequential short-shift transmissions. Thus the "throw", if you want to call it throw, is about a 1/4".

If you lengthen the shaft of the shifter on a traditional rod/cable transmission, without adding a short-shift kit, you will greatly increase the throw and also increase the chance of missing a gear.

joeg
05-21-2003, 02:08 PM
The top WRC cars (Peogeot, Citroen, Subaru)use shifter ring paddles--on the steering wheel.

The tall "shifter looking" handle is the elctrohydrauliccomputerassisted handbrake.

The poorer WRC teams (Hyundai and Skoda)use the sequential shifter.

Cheers.

breaka_1_9
05-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Domino:

Rally type shifting (WRC type stuff) is different because although the shifter is taller so it's closer to the driver's hand, they use sequential short-shift transmissions. Thus the "throw", if you want to call it throw, is about a 1/4".

If you lengthen the shaft of the shifter on a traditional rod/cable transmission, without adding a short-shift kit, you will greatly increase the throw and also increase the chance of missing a gear.

i didn't think about how long the throw would be with a very long shaft on the shifter. thanks for the info!

Domino
05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
The top WRC cars (Peogeot, Citroen, Subaru)use shifter ring paddles--on the steering wheel.

The tall "shifter looking" handle is the elctrohydrauliccomputerassisted handbrake.

Cheers.

Exactly. A good picture of the sequential in the Hyundai.

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/Gallery/Photo/200...R_LoixHello.htm (http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/Gallery/Photo/2003/002/2003_R_TR_LoixHello.htm)

Greg Gauper
05-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by joeg:

Cheers.

That maybe true for WRC cars, but on British Touring cars, that tall funny looking stick IS the gearshift lever. You can see them hit it each time they shift. They are sequential gearboxes however............

Watch the in car footage of the ALMS Corvettes or a Trans-Am car. They have normal (H-pattern) gearboxes with funny shift levers too.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited May 21, 2003).]