PDA

View Full Version : Need 1st Gen CRX/Civic Si help

Greg Gauper
05-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Looking for help regarding the FI setup for a first generation CRX Si (85-87) or Civic Si (86-87). Car is being converted from ITC carb'd trim to Si Fuel Injection, similar to ITA specs. Now before all you rules nerds abush me, this is for a production car and is a legal swap!!! I'm posting the question here because the limited prep rules for production are similar to the IT rules.

The main thing that I am interested in is a simple, specific list of what can be disconnected/plug/removed/jumpered etc. as far as emission controls. I have every piece of hardware from my parts car (wiring harness, ECU, dash pod, etc). I could play it safe and install everything like a Showroom Stock car (excluding header) but I figure some of that hardware can be removed. I just don't have enough experience yet to know what can be removed, like that big bulky black control box that sits on the left fender. I would also like to know if the O2 sensor can be removed, since we have to run leaded fuel in production. Do I remove it from the header but leave it plugged in, or do I jumper it out some how to fool the ECU. So far the only thing I know for sure is that the A/C solenoid can be removed and that vaccuum line plugged.

If somebody does post a list of things to be removed, I would appreciate if they used the factory shop manual nomenclature, so that I can physically see and confirm using a borrowed shop manual.

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited May 09, 2003).]

nlevine
05-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Greg - On my 1st gen ITA CRX Si, I left everything stock, except the oxygen sensor. My header didn't have a port for one, I never connected anything (or jumpered anything), and the car runs fine. Since I started with an Si, there was nothing for me to add, but I didn't subtract anything...

-noam

Greg Gauper
05-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that somebody could tell me what I CAN disconnect (or more accurately, what I don't have to transplant from the donar car) preferably the big black box that sits on the left fender. Some of the stuff looks like A/C controls and cold start function, which I assume I should be able to remove and block the ports with vaccuum caps. Worst case is the car will be difficult to start in cold weather, which shouldn't be a problem during the summer during race season. I want the space in the engine compartment for an oil cooler and asociated plumbing. I have everything from the donor parts car, I just don't want to add stuff if I don't need it (for space and weight savings).

Thanks for the tip on the O2 sensor. It sounds like you had it connected electronically, but not physically installed in your header. I do have a port in my header for an O2 sensor, which down the road I might use for tuning with a wideband A/F meter on an occasional/temporary basis, since the leaded race fuel will kill the sensor. I have been told that you can use a propane torch to 'clean' a sensor but I'm not sure how.

CRXfanatic
05-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Black Box removal>>> http://members.aol.com/vmalchesky/tips_and_tricks.htm

[This message has been edited by CRXfanatic (edited May 12, 2003).]

Greg Gauper
05-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.