PDA

View Full Version : moroso oil pan on 89 si motor

breaka_1_9
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
did anyone have problems with the pickup hitting the removeable baffle? i can't seem to get my pan on as it hits the baffle. do i have to grind down the baffle some?

thanks.

jc836
04-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Read this on another site-you may have to remove the baffle entirely to get the correct clearance. May I suggest a call to Moroso as there are others out here who also want to know how to do this correctly.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

breaka_1_9
04-08-2003, 05:40 PM
when i called moroso they said to make sure i have the right pickup since there are 2 choices (24016 for the acura 1.6 and the 24017 for the honda 1.6). i am pretty sure i have the right pickup, but i need to double check to make sure it is the right one. although it looked pretty much like this one:
http://www.wabe.net/silum/images/moroso11.jpg
and the person who made up that site says its the 24017.

i'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Greg Gauper
04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
I have the Moroso pan on my '84 Civic ITC and I openned up the pickup hole by about 1/16th inch all, primarily because I was too lazy to try and get the baffle plate lined up dead nuts perfect with the pickup, plus the pan is a tight fit at the flywheel end of the block. BTW, I can't spek for your model Honda but on my Civic, I HAD to remove the driver side halfshaft in order to get enough clearence to install the pan. Double check before you start to swap it out.....

HiRcc#21
04-11-2003, 10:30 AM
My understanding with this pan is that the baffles can cause oil starvation.
Guys that have run the pan with out installing an accusump to keep pressure to the bearings, have blow up engines.
I don't know how true it is, but the guys that haven't blown motors are running an accusump with that paticular pan and moroso pick up. Is it worth it? That is my question.

lb2
04-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey fellows, Hondas and Acuras don't need any Moroso oil pans the stock pan is fine, you don't need to spend the money on fancy one.

Louis

[This message has been edited by lb2 (edited April 11, 2003).]

Greg Gauper
04-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by HiRcc#21:
My understanding with this pan is that the baffles can cause oil starvation.
Guys that have run the pan with out installing an accusump to keep pressure to the bearings, have blow up engines.
I don't know how true it is, but the guys that haven't blown motors are running an accusump with that paticular pan and moroso pick up. Is it worth it? That is my question.

Not quite. The purpose of the baffles is to insure that the pickup always has oil. The trap door baffles allow oil to flow towards the pickup and doesn't allow it to flow away from the pick-up during cornering.

And technicaly, you don't need it or an Accusump (they never used them on the old 12/24hour Firehawk enduros).

In my case, when I switched to a DC header, I had to switch from the carb'd oil pan to an Si oil pan for header clearence. The Moroso pan is a work of art! In addition to the baffles, the oil capacity is increased by 1.5 qts via front and rear 'bump-outs'. The pan also has ports for temperature sensor, provides some slight improvement in oil cooling (due to aluminum construction + extra capacity). I didn't want to install a rusty, stock oil pan from a boneyard, and since I wanted a new pan anyway, I went with the Moroso pan instead of a new factory stock pan. As far as I am concerned, it's like chicken soup for a cold....you don't need it, it may not help, but it couldn't hurt http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Several years ago (back when all I had was the stock pan, stock 'idiot' oil light and no gauge, my oil light would occasionally flicker in hard left handers. On this car, my oil gauge is rock steady.

They do look pretty cool too http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited April 12, 2003).]

lb2
04-12-2003, 03:50 PM
"like chicken soup for a cold....you don't need it, it may not help, but it couldn't hurt "

Yes your statement is 100% correct, and I agree with you.

Louis B.

breaka_1_9
04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
well after a bit of trimming of the baffle and a friend helping, my friend got the oil pan on. if i ever take it off, it should be a fun time...

ckracer58
04-18-2003, 10:59 AM
After reading this post I have another oil pan question. Just finished doing some work on my 86 carbed motor, which included replacing the oil pan due to beat up drain plug threads. Well, after finishing the entire motor I went to replace the pan with a spare that looked exactly the same as the old one. But when I tried to place the pan on the block, the pick-up would not let the pan to fit properly. Went to the spare motor and took of the pick-up to compare. Yep, the pick-up off the old motor was about .1/4 inch shorter than the one on my good motor. Due to time and money constraints, I installed the shorter pick-up and torque down the oil pan. My question is...does this make a difference? Both pick-ups were identical, but one longer than the other. I hate to have a problem that could have been solved by finding the correct oil pan to fit the pick-up on the motor. My hypothesis is that the previous owner installed a si or other Honda (1.6?) pick-up and pan for some extra capacity and I am just replacing with the original parts for the motor? Any thoughts?