PDA

View Full Version : Condenser fan: keep or lose?

Geezer
03-22-2003, 06:54 PM
The A/C came out of the CRX today, and I'm trying to decide if I need to keep the condenser fan as well at the radiator fan. Shouldn't be that hard to wire up a manual switch to turn it on if the temp gauge goes up. But I wonder if it will get in the way of the planned SMSP header. Any thoughts from the CRX racers?

------------------
1988 CRX Si
ITA/HC4 wannabe

jc836
03-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Just got home from Honda Village and my new header is on along with the suspension update/alignment. Water temp on the road was around 195. (Yes the car is still -barely-street legal) I have totally removed the A/C and suspect you can leave the fan out for now. I will suggest that you check the radiator for debris on and around it.
If you want-you can install a switch and relay (or use the one from the A/C harness. You might want to consider a FAL or similar high output type too.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

ITR#231
03-23-2003, 01:19 AM
I would be surprised if they didn't get in the way of the SMSP header. Either way, I would doubt that the condenser fan is worth keeping. I'm still using the rad fan and it's nice to have when you're waiting on grid, but I'm also still using the OEM exhaust manifold so space isn't an issue...

------------------
'88 CRX Si - ITA/PS2 road racer: Handles like it's on jack stands
'98 ITR #0231 - DS autocrosser: Handles like I sold it
'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee - daily driver/tow vehicle: Handles like a jumping castle

Tom Blaney
03-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Remove it, it isn't needed when running adds weight in the front (don't need any more there) and is just something else to cause a problem.