PDA

View Full Version : Header install issue...

gran racing
03-18-2003, 09:29 AM
I bought a DC sports header for my '87 prelude si. I am trying to install it, but am having a horrible time connecting the EGR tube to the header - I can not get the bolt to screw in. Any suggestions? What does the EGR do?

Greg Gauper
03-18-2003, 01:24 PM
I've never seen a header with a connection for the EGR...and I didn't think 87's had EGR valves (My 86 Civic Si doesn't have one).

If you are talking about a welded in fitting located just after the collector, perpendicular to the pipes, that is the usual location for the O2 sensor.

Depending on the car, you may not ned one. Pegasus sells K&N O2 sensor plugs. Or get a junk O2 sensor to plug the hole. Use high temp anti-sieze in case you want to remove it later.

itaintegra31
03-18-2003, 01:42 PM
loosen the bolts where the tube mounts to the intake manifold and also loosen the header to head flange nuts and then start the egr tube to the header.
the egr system(exhaust gas recirclulative system)allows the computer on your car to adjust the mixture in the combustion chamber,it is an emission control device.

gran racing
03-19-2003, 02:45 PM
I went to a Honda dealership yesterday to see what their thoughts were. I was able to speak with a few of the mechanics; they told me that have installed a few of these headers and had the same issue. They ended up welding the EGR tube to the header for the cars (it was their friends cars). They suggested that I either weld it in which may be hard with the header wrap and may be difficult to find a welder that will do it since it is in the engine or that I disconnect it and plug the holes. They said that it simply puts gases into the exhaust for the cat. conveter to "clean", but since I do not have a cat. it really wouldn't effect things. What do you think?

itaintegra31
03-19-2003, 03:29 PM
yea if you do not have a cat and you don't drive it on the street just weld it shut...
Originally posted by gran racing:
I went to a Honda dealership yesterday to see what their thoughts were. I was able to speak with a few of the mechanics; they told me that have installed a few of these headers and had the same issue. They ended up welding the EGR tube to the header for the cars (it was their friends cars). They suggested that I either weld it in which may be hard with the header wrap and may be difficult to find a welder that will do it since it is in the engine or that I disconnect it and plug the holes. They said that it simply puts gases into the exhaust for the cat. conveter to "clean", but since I do not have a cat. it really wouldn't effect things. What do you think?