PDA

View Full Version : New rule requiring gas filler/tank isolation

Mark Seaman
03-15-2003, 01:13 AM
I recently picked up the new GCR and was browsing the IT rules changes when I found that all cars that have the top of the fuel tank and/or the filler pipe exposed in the driver's compartment must now have a metal bulkhead to isolate them. On my CRX the filler pipe is exposed and it looks like its going to be a bear to fab up an aluminum cover for it. I've started making cardboard templates and my sheet metal skills aren't the greatest. I can see the need for this but it would have been nice to know about it 4 months ago so I could have been working on it. Anybody care to comment or have any ideas on how to make this easier?

Knestis
03-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Your local heating and AC contractor has the tools and skilz to build something like that. Mow neighbors lawns for the amount of time it would have taken you to attempt fabbing something up, and you will probably be able to pay for it AND a six pack of barley pops.

Kirk

EDIT - make sure you know the specific rule requirements and give your expectations to them in writing.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited March 15, 2003).]

badal
03-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Mark Seaman:
I recently picked up the new GCR and was browsing the IT rules changes when I found that all cars that have the top of the fuel tank and/or the filler pipe exposed in the driver's compartment must now have a metal bulkhead to isolate them. On my CRX the filler pipe is exposed and it looks like its going to be a bear to fab up an aluminum cover for it. I've started making cardboard templates and my sheet metal skills aren't the greatest. I can see the need for this but it would have been nice to know about it 4 months ago so I could have been working on it. Anybody care to comment or have any ideas on how to make this easier?

Go to Home Depot and pick up some aluminum duct tubing or aluminum clothes dryer vent and then go to the roofing department and get a plate for a plumbing stack vent. You might be able to fab something with these.

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

1stGenBoy
03-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Mark,
FYI this rule was publised about 6-7 months ago and approved about the same time.

Bob Clark

ITA_CRX
03-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Or you could just do what I am planning.

Put the pieces of the interior back in to cover up the filler neck.

Jamie

Tom Blaney
03-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ITA_CRX:
Or you could just do what I am planning.

Put the pieces of the interior back in to cover up the filler neck.

Jamie

I think it has to be metal....

ITA_CRX
03-17-2003, 03:16 PM
The rule is:

In automobiles where the fuel system components are exposed to the driver/passenger compartment as a result of interior modifications permitted within these rules ....

So if you remove the interior trim pieces, you need the metal piece to cover up the filler neck.

If you don't remove the trim pieces, this rule doesn't apply.

Jamie