PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt/Tensioner Replace- Crank Sprocket

Dom Pirinchinci
02-23-2003, 10:26 PM
I think we've been through this one before, but I can't find the old thread. I'm getting ready to replace the timing belt and tensioner on our ITC Civic (1.5L CVCC)- it's skipped on me twice now, and I'm never smart enough to figure it out right off, so I'm hoping a new tensioner will fix the problem.

Is the bolt on the crank sprocket left hand thread? I know some Hondas are. I also know that these are a huge pain to get out. Any tricks? (Besides swearing alot- I'm very familiar with that one) Any tricks or tips on the tensioner? Looking at the manual, it seems pretty straight-forward to me.....

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Dom Pirinchinci (edited February 23, 2003).]

Dom Pirinchinci
03-02-2003, 02:55 PM
What, nobody's ever replaced a timing belt tensioner on a 3G Civic? C'mon......

Help please!

Greg Gauper
03-02-2003, 03:58 PM
I just looked at a 3G junkyard block sitting in my basement....

There doesn't seem to be anything special about the tensioner. Just a single bolt with right hand i.e. normal threads. Crankshaft bolt is also normal (righty tighty/lefty loosy).

Looks easy to change if the motor is out of the car, might require some swearing if the engine is installed????

JohnRW
03-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Just did this last month with a 1.5 Si street beater /ice race car.

Crank pulley bolt, as noted before, normal (righty tighty...). Tensioner bolt, normal too. Easy to do in the car. VERY easy to do if you have an air impact wrench to remove the crank bolt. If you find the tensioner normal, CHECK THE WATER PUMP. Water pump major cause of premature timing belt/valve train injuries in this motor. Replace the water pump and tensioner, if you have any doubts. To re-tension, rotate the motor so the slack is on the backside of the crank & cam pulleys, give the tensioner a little extra tweak with a long screwdriver or pry bar and tighten it up again.

Dom Pirinchinci
03-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks much guys. Good tip on the water pump- I've never had the lower cover off, so I didn't realize how easy it is to get to. We had some overheat problems last year, but I blamed it on the crummy radiator. The new tensioner is on order- maybe I'll add a water pump to that shipment....

-Dom