PDA

View Full Version : Harness in 91 CRX

SiRex91
02-11-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm building my first IT car. I'm 19 years old and I'm very new to road racing. I had a little turbo'ed civic hatch back as just a street/drag car. My new project a 91 CRX Si with a Kirk Racing 6 point bolt-in cage. I know a weld-in cage would be better but for the chassis shops in my area are charging about $2000 for cages. I just ordered a pair of Simpson 5 point harnesses, but I am wondering on where I mount the lap belt on the side that is closest to the door. I'm mounting the other side of the lap belts to the exhaust tunnel, but my car has those stupid door mounted seatbelts, so I don't know where to mount them. Do I mount the belt to the floor??

ITR#231
02-12-2003, 12:03 AM
You got my specific answer earlier, but that was assuming you went ahead and used the bolt-in hardware. If you DO use the bolt-in end, make sure a floor mounting location won't put any twist in the belt when everything is tight. I think mounting it on the horizontal door jam (where the 88's are mounted) would allow you to keep all kink out of the belt, but fabricating something in that location for the 89-91 may be tricky. Using a clip-in end and an eye-bolt might make the floor mount a little better, since this hardware can minimize any belt twisting if the force isn't in the right direction.

And one thing I forgot to mention before, if you use the bolt-in hardware, make sure that the force on the belt is pulling in the direction of the bolt-in plate and not parallel to the bolt itself. In other words, if you mount it to the floor, make sure you aren't pulling straight up, and if you mount it to the side, make sure you're not pulling straight out (for bolt-in ends, anyway).

------------------
'88 CRX Si - ITA/PS2 road racer: Handles like it's on jack stands
'98 ITR #0231 - DS autocrosser: Handles like I sold it
'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee - daily driver/tow vehicle: Handles like a jumping castle

SiRex91
02-12-2003, 12:56 AM
I just wanted to see if anyone has a 91 CRX and has done this first hand on a CRX w/ door mounted seatbelts.

USGUYS
02-12-2003, 01:54 AM
I had a bolt in cage in my car. I used the seat belt mount on the tunnel. The left side belt and the sub-belt were bolted though the floor with the standard eye bolt and the large fender washer that comes with the belts. Make sure the angle is per the GCR. Check for the mount in the floor some cars had it too.
The shoulder belt are looped over the cross brace behing the seat. That brace is required by the GCR.
I can suggest strongly that you take the car to a welding shop and have them weld the cage into the car and weld it together. The difference in stiffness is unbelievable. Add the optional front wheel well braces too. A couple of pieces of tubing and plate from the local short track suppy house will give you the raw materials. Fish mouth with a Sawsall and a grinder. A little time and your bolt-in cage will be fine.
Enjoy the ride.