PDA

View Full Version : quaife vs. opm lsd

Chris Sawatsky
01-08-2003, 02:37 PM
has anyone driven both? Also, maintenance and lifespan are of course an issue...

are the small bearing size quaifes even available anymore for the 88-89 crx Si? I've been looking around lately and haven't been able to find anything but the 90-91 quaife

pavis
01-13-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I know both diffs are good. Maybe try posting in the "Tech" section for a better response.

Richy Gonzalez
01-13-2003, 03:54 PM
While I currently don't have either nor can I tell you which one is better, the "lifetime" warrantee that Quaife comes with would be pretty hard to pass up.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
Racecar Sponsor: LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

Tom Blaney
01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
I have driven both, and although I like the guys at OMP, I think the quaffe is a better unit. The quaffe seems to be smoother under heavy load, and doesn't seem to be as notchy, both were maintenance free, and there was little difference in lap times, so it's a tough call since the quaffe is a bit pricy. IMHO of coarse

Jon Nelson
01-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Tom,

Did you happen to note the difference in lap times between either and an open diff?

Chris and I are probably both wondering if these things are worth the money. I keep asking, everyone says "yes, get one", but you can buy a lot of beer and pizza for the cost of one of these things....

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Nelson
01-14-2003, 12:18 AM
OPM is certainly a LOT easier to spell, that's for sure!!!

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jon

Knestis
01-14-2003, 09:57 AM
(coughweldcough)

Tom Blaney
01-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
(coughweldcough)

Let's see what happens when that coughed on diff gets into the wet...

There is no comparision between an open diff and an LSD. Night and day..end of discussion, I don't even think Schumacher could make it go quicker do it.

Knestis
01-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Being from Washington State, I have developed some opinions on that very subject. I didn't find a locked diff to be as terrifying in the wet as some but another guy I know used to swap to a gearbox with an open diff when it rained. This was before some of the better-engineered answers became readily available. My point, I guess, is that *cost considered* a welded diff is a reasonable answer. Would I spend the dough on the import spools that are now available? Probably not.

Kirk

Catch22
01-15-2003, 04:09 AM
I know a couple of Honda guys that have driven both and like the OPM better.

I have a Type R diff, which as I understand it is pretty much a quaife copy, and I don't think it's aggressive enough.

dpmurray
01-15-2003, 10:22 AM
I have a Type R diff, which as I understand it is pretty much a quaife copy, and I don't think it's aggressive enough.

So does the Type R diff install into any B series mated transmission?

Chris Sawatsky
01-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Catch22:

I thought the ITR diff was a clutch type lsd, and the quaife a gear type lsd?

davew
01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
the OE type-r LSD is a viscious gear type lsd like the quaife...but its a little less beefy in construction and not as agressive in bite...that said, I like it better for roadracing and have not broke one yet.

The KAAZ is the cluch type.

and yes the ITR lsd will fit most B series cases, with the correct bearings.

What I dislike about the quaife's the most is that they do not come with a reverse ring gear on them and you have to press the one off your stock diff to put on them. not a problem except that they are brittle and break quite easy and honda/acura doesn't sell them without the whole diff assembly...so be carefull!

-dw

HiRcc#21
02-05-2003, 09:39 PM
I have experience with both LSD's. I too, like the guys at OPM, however we did find some metal shavings in the trans fluid after a season of use. for the cost, it is worth it.
I have the Quaife currently (cause I sell them,ha ha), and find the bite is better, the power is smoother to engage for throttle modulation, and haven't found any shavings in the gear lube.
As for the bearings, Honda will sell you them, I just called today to get a quote, and my cost for them is 26 bucks each,so it is worth doing the 40mm bearings when you install them. Retail on them is around 39 bucks each.
As for pressing the bearing off the stock diff to resue them, the cost of repalcement is not that bad, so we install new ones, and leave the old ones on the stock diffs...
Just one less thing go wrong when you least expect it or want it.......

HiRcc#21
02-05-2003, 09:39 PM
I have experience with both LSD's. I too, like the guys at OPM, however we did find some metal shavings in the trans fluid after a season of use. for the cost, it is worth it. Tom does have a great deal on the final drive gear though....call him you'll see.
I have the Quaife currently (cause I sell them,ha ha), and find the bite is better, the power is smoother to engage for throttle modulation, and haven't found any shavings in the gear lube.
As for the bearings, Honda will sell you them, I just called today to get a quote, and my cost for them is 26 bucks each,so it is worth doing the 40mm bearings when you install them. Retail on them is around 39 bucks each.
As for pressing the bearing off the stock diff to resue them, the cost of repalcement is not that bad, so we install new ones, and leave the old ones on the stock diffs...
Just one less thing go wrong when you least expect it or want it.......

volante
02-07-2003, 01:41 AM
after reading all this lsd stuff--here is a question.I replaced my tranny this summer with a used one--took the qaife out of the trashed one into new one.work's fine-but reverse is a little catchy.are you saying i needed to do something else with the reverse ring or something.I am going to open it up again to put a new final drive in--anything else i need to know.
Dave Volante

HiRcc#21
02-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Dave-
you might want to replace the main bearings since your in there. They are about 40 bucks each, can't hurt.
As for the reverse gear, just make sure the syncro's aren't worn out, how is the clutch?
Use the factory manual to inspect the wear limits..
If you need help, call me.
866-438-3966

------------------
http://www.Street-N-Track Autosports- owner
ITA CRX Si #21
Central Division SCCA