PDA

View Full Version : Streetable IT Integra?

MrMoody
11-22-2002, 06:40 PM
I just typed a long post about this and it went missing after entering the wrong password, so here's the abbreviated version.

I'm wondering how possible it would be to have a streetable (i.e. I can drive the 5 miles to work everyday) IT car? I would like to start racing, but my buget is low. If I could have a dual-purpose car racing might actually be a possibility.

So, are there any people running an IT car on the streets?

BTW, comfort is not too high on the list of requirements for "streetable"

Tom Donnelly
11-22-2002, 06:58 PM
This isn't meant as discouragement, just information. One disadvantage of driving your car to the track is that even a minor incident that disables your car, leaves you with no ride home. And there is the dual wear and tear on your daily driver. People have done it, you just have to find room in your car for spare parts, tires, wheels etc.

Its been done though.

ITR#231
11-22-2002, 07:09 PM
The other concerns would be having a cage in a street car (since it's illegal to drive on the street wearing a helmet in many states, and no helmet + cage = bad). You may also wish to swap seats for street driving to allow you to use the OEM seat belts.

------------------
'88 CRX Si - ITA/PS2 road racer: Handles like it's on jack stands
'98 ITR #0231 - DS autocrosser: Handles like I sold it
'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee - daily driver/tow vehicle: Handles like a jumping castle

MrMoody
11-22-2002, 07:17 PM
yeah those are some valid points. I don't like bashing my head against rollbars too much, and yeah it would suck to break at the track w/o a ride home. I guess I'll start looking at tow vehicle's soon. I've also concidered renting a car for a while so I can worry less about the car and more about staying on the track . . . .

[This message has been edited by MrMoody (edited November 22, 2002).]

ITR#231
11-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Another option that is a little more popular is to keep your IT car street legal but have another daily driver. That way you can drive the car to and from events but not have to deal with everything else on a daily basis. It doesn't fix the issue of crashing your ride home, but at least you could flatbed the car home and you'd have another form of transportation to get to work the next day.

------------------
'88 CRX Si - ITA/PS2 road racer: Handles like it's on jack stands
'98 ITR #0231 - DS autocrosser: Handles like I sold it
'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee - daily driver/tow vehicle: Handles like a jumping castle

Type_RS_59
11-27-2002, 03:06 PM
I drive my CRX on the street with a full cage and race seat in it. I just padded the hell out of the cage and the stock seatbelt works fine with the OMP seat. Sure, it's hard to get in and out of but a smaller steering wheel helps a lot in the leg clearance department.

Kyle

greg_umbay
11-27-2002, 03:59 PM
I hear your needs and desire to race. I want to encourage and help you to chase your dreams. I think the suggestion to get a second street car is an excellent idea. Or maybe a motor cycle. If it is only 5 miles to work and home, then I think you might be OK with a motorbike and a daily driver street vehicle that is also your race car.

I imagine that your race budget is small. Here is some food for thought. Can you afford to ball up the car? You won't be happy if you ball it up, but will you be in a finacial ruin of you ball it up? If the answer is yes, then go for it. Approach with caution and think everything through.

One of the guys I pitted to last race was a SSB racer. He drove his car to the track. He had his girlfriend follow in her street car. They did the hotel thing.

My buddy from driver's school whom I see all the time also drives to the track. He tows a really small tire trailer to the track. He owns another car, but does the track thing on his own. He had a valve failure at the track. He called AAA and had them tow him the 80 miles from the track to home.

I have a street legal ITA car. I can go on an on about how you can do it. Basically, you can but there are risks.

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

MrMoody
11-27-2002, 04:57 PM
thanks for the advice Kyle and Greg!

I basically bought the car so I wouldn't have to pay a car payment. I coudln't justify paying a few hundred per month for a car that spends 90% of the time sitting. My drive to work takes about 10-15 minutes (depending on traffic light coordination).

I'd rather put that money into a race budget. I can afford to hose this car. I can always bum a ride to work from my wife, ride my bike (i need the exercise anyway, and there's no such thing as a winter here in SoCal), and the motorcycle idea is a good one too. The next big trick will be to convince my wife to let me do this.

racer-025
11-27-2002, 05:07 PM
Yes, this can be done quite practicle, but all the street driven IT cars I have seen eventually get modified so that they are no longer suitable for street driving. Once the rookie driver gets some seat time and gets to be a decent driver, they all want more SPEED. Thus slowly modifying their street rides to get that .5 sec. faster lap times. By the end of the summer, they have +600lbs springs, etc. that makes for a very crappy street ride. Cut to the chase, buy a $1000 Civic to get to work and then concentrate on your IT car. Or better yet, buy a low-end IT car and build it better. Keep in mind, you will probably throw twice as much $$$ into your existing car that to go out and buy a low-end IT car already built.

greg_umbay
11-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Convince your wife... I went through something like that also. I came to her with a plan and she liked it.

Factors to deal with:
Time - before during and after a race. Prep and breakdown/unloading your car takes time. I also agreed on X number of races per year. I have to cancel or reschedule race plans if there is a family event that conflicts.

Money - I get X dollars from my check and any bonuses. (bad economy, no bonuses lately) Anytime the family needs the $$$ I give it up no questions or arguments.

Risk - I brought her video of one of the track days I had showed from inside that it was not a smash up derby. Reading the GCR and the regional supps, I showed here the procedures and rules governing body contact. She was OK with that.

I see you live in SoCal, if you come up to race in NorCal, Laguna, Sears or Thunder Hill, I'll be glad to help you out with trackside stuff.

------------------
http://www.ita.hondapowered.com

[This message has been edited by greg_umbay (edited November 27, 2002).]

Jon Nelson
12-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Yeah, you can do it.

I'm in the girlfriend/2nd car/hotel club, 8 hours to the track, 8 hours home.

Not always fun, but possible.

400in/lb springs front, 500 rr.

Earplugs mandatory.

BUT, I have a "real" car too. The racer just happens to be it's own tow vehicle.

All that said, I've done it two years in a row, and will not do it a third, I'm working on trailer designs right now!!

Jpn

Crack Monkey
12-03-2002, 12:38 PM
It can be done - I drove my Spec RX-7 on the street for the 1st year I raced (though not daily).

But, it might be easier to buy an old pickup (I'm thinking mid-90s Ford F150 base model) and a tow dolly. The trucks are reasonably reliable and the V6 versions are cheap. A used tow dolly should be $500 or so.

Keep the race car tagged and titled as long as possible. But you have the truck for those times the racecar is stuck on jackstands and also for transport to/from the track.

four27
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Rent a car at first. You solve most of your problems. Seems expensive but when you really add up what it costs to race a car I think it is cheaper.

MrMoody
01-02-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by four27:
Rent a car at first. You solve most of your problems. Seems expensive but when you really add up what it costs to race a car I think it is cheaper.

What does it typically cost to rent? Maybe a CRX or Civic??

TIA
Steve

bobpink
01-03-2003, 11:26 AM
You didn't say whether you are looking at an ITA or an ITC car, but a rental will probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 per weekend. Actual cost will depend on the deal you make. Keep in mind that you will be responsible for any damage to the car as well.

Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited January 03, 2003).]

Knestis
01-03-2003, 12:40 PM
...and understand that when you say, "Dang, that's a lot of money!", you are looking at a good estimate of what it really costs to run a basic IT car.

I don't think anyone who rents them is getting rich off of their efforts and, once all of the expenses are amortized over the useful life of the car, $1000/weekend is not out of line. This assumes that you wouldn't already have some of the significant investments on hand anyway (e.g. trailer, tow vehicle, tools, etc.)

Kirk

Will
01-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Mr.Moody,

We have an ITS Acura Integra GSR for sale, although it is not streetable, I will make you the offer that if you buy the car, I will throw in a used Tow Dolly as part of the package.

The original selling price was $25,000 and has been reduced down to $22,500 (tow dolly included)

The GSR is the fastest you will find around with a Professional race winning record.

Will Nonnamaker
[email protected]
(330) 497-4484 ext 23