PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen CRX air intakes

Gregg
12-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Just a rookie building up an '88 CRX for ITA--

Given the recent rule changes re: air intake location and the closing of the loophole allowing the running of a CAI thru the resonator box hole in the fender, I was wondering what you all were planning to run.

Will one of the "short ram" intakes offer any advantage over the stock airbox w/ a decent K&N or similar filter? If running a short ram, is it within the rules to shield the filter off from major heat sources in the engine bay?

davew
12-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Greg,

can you please post a reference to this rule change.....

thanks,
dave w

Gregg
12-26-2002, 02:22 PM
From the October FasTrack (pg. F-238, Col.3 thru F-239, Col.1)

ITEM 21
Revise the following languagew in ITCS Section 17.1.4.D.1.a.4:
"All air entering the intake tract shall pass throught the carburetor or fuel injection air inlet. Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location."
Add the following language to ITCS Section 17.1.4.D.1.c:
"Air intake souce shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location." Effective 1/1/03
MOTION: (Martinsen/Clark) PASSED. Holtz, Mellor opposed.

jc836
12-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Here we are again. I installed an AEM short ram and it is legal as placed IN the engine bay. There are no ducts under the car. The way I understand the rule for a CRX Si is that the stock inlet location is on the drivers side thru a tube to the airbox and resonator then to the TB from there. The only thing I question is the need to close off the hole in the apron where the resonator used to be. Can you fabricate a heat shield to fit directly under the cone filter-I won't object as you are not enhancing airflow to the device.
Would someone with more experience care to enter this thread?

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

jc836
12-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by jc836:
Here we are again. I installed an AEM short ram and it is legal as placed IN the engine bay. There are no ducts under the car. The way I understand the rule for a CRX Si is that the stock inlet location is on the drivers side under the hood and above the radiator thru a tube to the airbox and resonator then to the TB from there. The only thing I question is the need to close off the hole in the apron where the resonator used to be. Can you fabricate a heat shield to fit directly under the cone filter-I won't object as you are not enhancing airflow to the device.
Would someone with more experience care to enter this thread?

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

slackerjay
12-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Air intake souce shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location." Effective 1/1/03

i have been told that the CAI for the honda CRX can remain...the stock location does in fact run forward of the wheel well, outside the engine compartment. i interpret this rule to allow us to continue to run the CAI. i also have asked a few people and they concur.

Gregg
12-26-2002, 11:02 PM
I find that hard to believe when, as jc386 mentioned, the actual stock (and only) inlet is inside the engine bay on the driver's side. The only part of the intake tract that is outside of the engine bay is the resonator which I see solely as an extension of the actual filter box.

Since you're left with a choice of inside the engine bay (where the stock "air intake source" is) or inside the engine bay, how do you reason that running the CAI's filter outside of the engine bay is still legal?

dave parker
12-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Gregg
It's legal until someone protests it http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif. And then they have to satisfy the SOM that it is a rules infraction. That also assumes that the protested car isn't owned by the chief stewards buddy. Good luck.
dave parker