PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ball - Future Classifications and '99-00 Si

dpmurray
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
To anyone who want to be a prophet of IT...

What kind of weight will the 99-00 Si be classified at and will it stand a chance in hell in ITS when eligible in 04-05?

Keep in mind the car is 1595 cc, DOHC VTEC B16 engine with 160 HP and street weight of 2609 lbs.

In SSC trim I believe it listed at 2450 lbs without driver.

Anyone want to take a guess? or make a prediction? (We will assume there is a difference between the two).
I have one of these sitting in my garage and am wondering of its future...

Dennis

Knestis
12-10-2002, 01:36 AM
I didn't use the same brand of chicken foot that the CB uses to do their voodoo but my guess would be ITS at 2720#. Yup - that's right - I am guessing that they will spec it at a higher weight than the GS-R. Remember that these are the folks who decided that the ITA '92-95 Civic DX should race at 100# more than curb weight...

The SCCA "formula" would put it at about 2670# but that won't happen. Ever.

There is another option: The CB may decline to classify it at all, citing either "performance potential" (hey, it kept the 911 out for more than 2 decades), or its limited production. This would NOT astound me but then I have lost faith.

Kirk

dpmurray
12-10-2002, 11:14 AM
I'll admit the prospect of not being classified did cross my mind although not seriously.

I think the car was built in numbers of 15k per year. That would probably be larger than the number of del Sol VTEC's built 93-96.

Any argument of competition potential would be hard to substanstiate. Given that the B16 gives up 10 HP to the B18 in the Integra, and the cars of similar curb weight, how is the potential of the Si any greater?

How in the world did the del Sol VTEC end up at 2380? lbs. with a 2514 lbs curb weight?

I'm guessing that at 2500 lbs. or less the Si would be a ringer.

happycorepuppy
12-10-2002, 03:42 PM
del Sol is 2360, which is why I wanted to build one http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif And it starts life at about 2450. I would guess a weight for the Si around 2550, but I could be wrong.

dpmurray
12-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Pity the del Sol VTEC's are fairly difficult to find. Not that many out there to begin with and many with the FaSt and FuRIous treatment.

Something tells me that if they rack up too many wins the Comp. Board will make an adjustment to it (but not a "competition adjustment".)

Not many advantages in the Si over the del Sol except maybe 15" wheels (more wheel and tire options).

happycorepuppy
12-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by dpmurray:
Pity the del Sol VTEC's are fairly difficult to find.
I ended up deciding it was a very expensive idea. Even though I had a VTEC shell, if I balled it up finding another one for any kind of reasonable price would be impossible. My budget doesn't allow for spending that kind of money, so ITA CRX it is ;o)