PDA

View Full Version : '85-'87 Prelude People

litlekikr
11-26-2002, 12:25 AM
I just found this site and it seems like some of you need a lil help in finding parts. I just sold my '87 prelude due to the lovely knock but i had quite a bit done to it while i had it.
As you can tell there's not many parts but the ones that are out are hard to find.
Headers-2 choices. DC Sports or Pacesetter. Now before you go knocking on Pacesetter, i paid 150 for my header as well as seen dyno sheets that were dead even w/ DC Sports. Now 150 sounds better then 3 something right? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif As far as rust, i don't know, i had mine wrapped. You will, well i did, have to plug up the EGR tubes on the side of the header. Pacesetter also makes an exhaust system for the '87 si which can be modded just a lil bit to make fit, mainly replacing the spring bolts w/ a flex pipe.
Suspension-Ground Control. I did R&D For them on this setup and let me tell you, it works really really well. If you don't believe me, just ask around on Honda-prelude.com and around Fredericksburg, Va. Talk to member "Jamie" (on hp.com) Oh yeah, watch for member JDMET2. He talks a lot of crap but doesn't know 1/2 of what he says.
I ran Tokico Shocks, the blues. I think Koni and KYB make some as well but I like Tokicos. I was in the process of having a contact at Sayner Performance make me some fully adjustable sway bars. that stopped once the 'lude was sold. Addco does have a rear bar though and it's pretty beefy.
Rim and Tire combo's- I Found the best one to be a 15 x 6.7 or 7" rim w/ a 205-50-15. I know you can't run 15 in IT so you'll have to set the car how you like. I know somebody on Honda-prelude.com was in the process of having poly. bushings made.
If you have the 1.8 carb. model 'lude. Upgrade to the SI brakes. This is a direct swap and will make one hell of a a difference. I ran Axxis Metal master pads and Powerstop rotors both solids (For auto cross) and cross drilled for the street. A company called KVR makes rear drilled rotors if your interested. Technafit and i think Goodridge make stainless steel brake lines.
I have some more but we'll see who reply's to this.
Definetley check out WWW.HONDA-PRELUDE.COM (http://WWW.HONDA-PRELUDE.COM)

gran racing
11-26-2002, 05:50 PM
The suspension you put on the car; was it sport springs & shocks or race springs & shocks? I am trying to find race springs and shocks for my '87 prelude.

I looked at the site you gave us...it was pretty interesting. Let me know about the suspension. Thanks, Dave

gran racing
11-26-2002, 05:51 PM
The suspension you put on the car; was it sport springs & shocks or race springs & shocks? I am trying to find race springs and shocks for my '87 prelude.

I looked at the site you gave us...it was pretty interesting. Let me know about the suspension. Thanks, Dave

p.keane
11-26-2002, 06:11 PM
Gran racing I e-mailed you, did you get it?Sounds like a street set up to me. Tokico's usually do not have stiff enough valving for the spring rates required for road racing.

litlekikr
11-26-2002, 11:21 PM
yup, "P" is right. It's a street setup and the tokico's are dead on for the street but not good enough for the track. I ran Ground Control collars w/ Eibach Sportline springs. I went through 4 different sping rates before i found one i liked (350lbs front 300lbs rear) and they came out w/ a full kit for me to sell which included the collars and springs. It was perfect for the street. I had absolutley no problem beating badass cars through twisties. My problem came on the straights where they'd blow by me but then i'd catch up to them and pass them in a corner. I highly suggest stiffer springs, not sure about the rates but i know some of the guys are running stiffer springs in the rear, or damn close, rather then up front to combat against the inherent understeer of a fwd car. W/ my setup though, i had no probs w/ this as the rear stepped out just enough to work right but not enough to spin you out or make you lose control. The car was used in several local auto-x's and placed in the top 5 everytime i ran. That was in my first season. My second season started real good but then the car started dying on me so i babied it around untill i sold it to JDMET2 on hp.com
anyways, e-mail me if you have any q's.
[email protected]
matt