PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake for a 90 Honda Prelude Si

Arridano
11-24-2002, 03:49 PM
I'm looking for a cold air intake for a 90 Prelude. Any suggestions?

jc836
11-24-2002, 03:53 PM
If I read the GCR/ITCS correctly-you cannot have a "cold air intake". However you can have an AEM "short Ram" with K&N type filter IN the engine compartment. There have been several threads on this subject recently. My CRX is equipped with the AEM and I made a block off plate for the opening that the resonator was in.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

LTBMotorsports
11-24-2002, 08:12 PM
The rule so far will let you run the Cold Air by running it via the factory opening that the resonator was in on your CRX and that is legal but you can not run a Cold Intake if you have to make an opening for it, all the CRXs and the Honda running in the South are running Cold Intake and it is legal for now according to the rule.
Louis

jc836
11-24-2002, 08:34 PM
That is very interesting Louis. I was told that I could leave the block off plate out-but could not put anything on the underside of the hole as that is not the stock routing of the inlet. I am not trying to nit pick here and that is why I elected to do the unquestionably legal short ram. I did inquire of Tech on this one.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA

LTBMotorsports
11-24-2002, 10:08 PM
The rule clearly say " velocity stacks, ram air or crowl induction are not permitted unless fitted as original equipment. Air intake hoses, tubes, pipes resonators, intake mufflers, housing etc. located ahead of the air metering/measuring device may be removed or substituted " in the CRX case and some Honda you are fitting the cold intake in the ORIGINAL location the same way that they are provided from factory, note if you look at the CRX factory system it is in a way a cold intake system because the unit start from behind the bumper ( factory ) and goes to the inside of the car via a opening to the air filter and back to a tube to the Throttle body, so when you are installing an AEM cold intake you are using the same basic and the same opening as the factory and that is allowed by the rule.
Again I may be wrong but that is how we read the rules in the SE devision and almost all the CRX in this region runs cold intake and never challenged by any other driver even at the ARRC.
Note: You said "could not put anything on the underside of the hole" I think that is a wrong statement from the Tech because again CRX had a factory pipe running in that hole, and any Tech representative should know that this is a wrong statement unless he did not know that CRX came factory with a pipe going via that hole, your only source and your only tech info should be the GCR and from the GCR.
Again I may be wrong but that is how I read the rule and I ran in the last few years over 30 races and never ever got protested for any reason.
Louis

jc836
11-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Louis: Thank you for your explanation. As I sit here remembering the parts of the intake tract-I can see part of what you refer to. However, my 89Si had the intake pipe running over the edge of the radiator to a point under the hood on the driver's side. This tube went to a box on top of the passenger side apron next to the battery and was connected to the resonator box below. The outlet of the box went to the TB.
I certainly have no intention of questioning anyone on their interpretation of the rule. As you note the SE division tech folk seem to have established a precedent on the subject. As for putting something on the underside of the existing opening-I should have been more specific in that it is my thinking that one could not put a scoop of some sort there.
May I assume that the filter assembly is indeed below the hole for your version of a CAI. Also are you using a name brand product like AEM?
Again I am not nit-picking, simply learning.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA

LTBMotorsports
11-24-2002, 11:50 PM
I know you are not nit-picking, and like I told you I may be wrong, trust me I wish we can get a clear understanding on SCCA rules because it seems that they are so confusing that even every area Tech ( not you ) have different interpretation of the rules http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Yes AEM runs a pipe that ends under that factory hole and that is where you put the K&N filter and it is the same setup for ICEMAN cold intake.
I have heard that some people like Real Time and Roger Foo used to run only factory box and they did not even have a Cold Intake.
Also it seems that some cars like the VW Golf and maybe BMW you can not run Cold Intake because they are not factory setup to accomodate the cold intake !!!
Louis

Tyson
11-25-2002, 02:05 AM
I thought we already talked about this on SEVERAL other threads. everytime the issue of any cold air intake comes up, jc comes in and says its illegal, then the rest of us say it is legal (at least on hondas).

the man is just asking for where to get a cai. iceman and aem sell em, see if there are any kits on ebay, they are of equal quality to aem in my opinion. check if injen makes a kit as well. i dont vouch for any of these company's products. im just pissed i paid $200 for my AEM kit and opened the box full of two pieces of tin tubing and some rubber hose and hose clamps and a cheap filter.