PDA

View Full Version : Computer Modification



LTBMotorsports
09-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Hello, need some info on Computer Modification on Honda/Acura ?? did you guys try it yet and how much did it cost and what kind of gain did you get and what system did you use??? any info is appreciated.
Louis Boustani

[This message has been edited by LTBMotorsports (edited September 20, 2002).]

plank
09-20-2002, 09:26 AM
Louis,

What I did was buy a spare ECU from a wrecking yard, then I bought a chip set from a guy in Canada. I went down to a computer repair store and had them solder in standard sockets I got from Radio Shack. I have 3 chips, but have not dynoed them yet. One cuts out at 7200, another at 8500 one has no cut out. Total costs were reasonable chips were only 60 bucks and the computer store charged me 30 bucks to solder in sockets.

I think the hottest setup is to probably do your own, but that is bigger $ and we are just developing the car, next year we will probably try to do our own programming.

Dick Plank

Richy Gonzalez
09-20-2002, 09:33 AM
Louis,
I've been very displeased with the chip manufactures for Honda. For a non forced induction honda, no one has been able to provide dyno numbers to validate a purchase. However, chip manufactures for BMWs, VWs and Audis do.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
Gonzalez Brothers Racing
#21 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

LTBMotorsports
09-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Thank you for your input, I forgot to mention that the car is a Vtec and I don't know if that will make any difference , how about Zdyne ??? did anyone try their computer???

Louis B.

plank
09-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Louis,

I spent quite a bit of time looking at this during Feb/March. As I recall both Zdyne and Hondata had a solution for your car and in both cases it was pricey. Zdyne will work for the CRX at least based on my conversations with them over the phone.
As I recall, the advantages of these systems are you can program them yourself and test if you have access to a dyno. Both have extensive websites.

I am not aware of anyone else.

Dick

spsspeed
09-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Louis,

Depending on which VTEC car it is for there are different options.

For the 94-95 GSR you are pretty limited in choices, AJ Racing in Canada will re-map the fuel and timing curves for a small fee. All you have to do is send them a dyno plot of your car and the corresponding A/F ratio.

Also Anthony Serra sells a modified computer for the GSR, he is out of NY. I know a couple people that are using his program.

My guess is that you will only gain 4-5 hp somewhere in the power range.

Other car like the Del Sol VTEC, newer 99 Civic SI and the 92-93 GSR have alot of options since they do not have the dual intake manifold.

I don't think changing the VTEC crossover point will help since it is at 4350rpm (for the 94-95 GSR) anyways so the car is always on the high end cams during a race.

Hope this helps. Which car are you going to get?

I will agree with Rich that for the CRX you are exremely limited. All you can do is check your A/F ratio with a wide-band O2 sensor, if you are OK then all you could do is re-map the timing curve.

Scott Seck
#38 ITS GSR

LTBMotorsports
09-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Scott, I can not find your business card, can you call me 1-888-346-7266
Louis

[This message has been edited by LTBMotorsports (edited September 20, 2002).]

UltimateGSX
09-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Erick's racing programs Honda computers for reasonable cost. His web site is at http://www.ericksracing.com/ecus.htm he is the owner and driver of the worlds fastest 1/4 mile Honda.

ITA Integra

Tyson
09-20-2002, 10:59 PM
a simple ecu upgrade for a crx is putting in a 88 integra ECU. bumps up the rev limit 300, and depending on who you talk to, is a bit more aggressive than a 90-91 Si ecu in fuel and timing, or the same.

(yes i know the 88's are different than the 91s, it would be a definate improvement if you still have your 88 ecu)

volante
09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Any 88 Integra model?And does' it fit in the stock 90 ecu case?

Tyson
09-24-2002, 10:23 PM
not sure exactly on the years, but whatever years match up with 88 model and 5spd. yeah, the casing is not the same, but once you open it up and unscrew the board, it fits exactly inside the stock Si casing. the only thing is the led view hole doesnt match up.

CRXfanatic
09-25-2002, 02:15 PM
I have an 89 Civic Si, with basic cai/h/e. I have had the 89 5-speed teg ecu in it and also the 3 chips I got from hyperducktuning in Canada. By far, the Mugen Gymkana program is the best. The car feels better all thru the rev range, and 1/4 mile and autox times dropped.

HTH

davew
09-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Louis,

I can chip any honda/acura ecu. I can do custon ones for Obd-0, Obd-1, and some Obd-2, and 2.5. though the 2's are quite expensive as they are all surface mount chips. I also have a full library of "off the shelf" chip tunes from companies like Mugen, Spoon, Feels, Skunk2, etc... and I'm a Hondata dealer. I do all the custom tuning for our world challenge touring cars, and am glad to help you out with whatever you need...I just need the specs on the motor and a dyno and a/f plot, at the minimum...unless you know what adjustments you need made.

email privately if you want to chat about it...

dave w

benh82
10-11-2002, 11:39 PM
email locash at [email protected] he has something like 2 day turnaround. i got my ecu reprogrammed by him for ITA in my crx Si. big difference. talk to him, let him know what you want and he'll work with you. fairly good pricing too. stay away from the "performance chips" that you see all too often.

RFloyd
10-15-2002, 09:30 AM
----
I can chip any honda/acura ecu. I can do custon ones for Obd-0, Obd-1, and some Obd-2, and 2.5. though the 2's are quite expensive as they are all surface mount chips. I also have a full library of "off the shelf" chip tunes from companies like Mugen, Spoon, Feels, Skunk2, etc... and I'm a Hondata dealer. I do all the custom tuning for our world challenge touring cars, and am glad to help you out with whatever you need...I just need the specs on the motor and a dyno and a/f plot, at the minimum...unless you know what adjustments you need made.

email privately if you want to chat about it...

dave w

----

By saying "any honda/acura" you're saying you could help me with my lowly old '86 Integra ecu, you know, the old vacuum advance cars from pre-'88? Awesome if you can. I run in ITA and need all the help I can get. I'd like to email you about it, but don't know your address. Email me if you don't mind and tell me if this is possible...

[email protected]

Thanks

Chris Sawatsky
10-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by benh82:
email locash at [email protected] he has something like 2 day turnaround. i got my ecu reprogrammed by him for ITA in my crx Si. big difference. talk to him, let him know what you want and he'll work with you. fairly good pricing too. stay away from the "performance chips" that you see all too often.

I got a chip from locash aswell, the PYR program. It made more of a difference than I expected. For the price, you can't go wrong.

four27
11-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by spsspeed:
Louis,

Depending on which VTEC car it is for there are different options.

For the 94-95 GSR you are pretty limited in choices, AJ Racing in Canada will re-map the fuel and timing curves for a small fee. All you have to do is send them a dyno plot of your car and the corresponding A/F ratio.

Also Anthony Serra sells a modified computer for the GSR, he is out of NY. I know a couple people that are using his program.

My guess is that you will only gain 4-5 hp somewhere in the power range.

Other car like the Del Sol VTEC, newer 99 Civic SI and the 92-93 GSR have alot of options since they do not have the dual intake manifold.

I don't think changing the VTEC crossover point will help since it is at 4350rpm (for the 94-95 GSR) anyways so the car is always on the high end cams during a race.

Hope this helps. Which car are you going to get?

I will agree with Rich that for the CRX you are exremely limited. All you can do is check your A/F ratio with a wide-band O2 sensor, if you are OK then all you could do is re-map the timing curve.

Scott Seck
#38 ITS GSR

four27
11-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by spsspeed:
Louis,

Depending on which VTEC car it is for there are different options.

For the 94-95 GSR you are pretty limited in choices, AJ Racing in Canada will re-map the fuel and timing curves for a small fee. All you have to do is send them a dyno plot of your car and the corresponding A/F ratio.

Also Anthony Serra sells a modified computer for the GSR, he is out of NY. I know a couple people that are using his program.

My guess is that you will only gain 4-5 hp somewhere in the power range.

Other car like the Del Sol VTEC, newer 99 Civic SI and the 92-93 GSR have alot of options since they do not have the dual intake manifold.

I don't think changing the VTEC crossover point will help since it is at 4350rpm (for the 94-95 GSR) anyways so the car is always on the high end cams during a race.

Hope this helps. Which car are you going to get?

I will agree with Rich that for the CRX you are exremely limited. All you can do is check your A/F ratio with a wide-band O2 sensor, if you are OK then all you could do is re-map the timing curve.

Scott Seck
#38 ITS GSR

four27
11-07-2002, 12:02 PM
this is for Scott Seck, You are a hard guy to track down! I built an Integra just like yours from your Grassroots article last year. First, thanks for all the great info as it saved me alot of grief. would like to compare notes with you it you are inclined. I have been doing business with the OPM guys and Tom Fowler has been a real asset. My car handles great and I am looking forword to a great season in 03 in Portland , Oregon. Would love to hear from you. Ron Cramer [email protected]

LTBMotorsports
11-07-2002, 02:45 PM
I got a new computer with socket on it and 4 different chips with different programs from David White, and I will be taking the car to the Dyno on 11/16/02 to see the results.
Louis.
Later guys, I am packing to go to Atlanta for the ARRC.



[This message has been edited by LTBMotorsports (edited November 07, 2002).]

jasonb
11-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by LTBMotorsports:
I got a new computer with socket on it and 4 different chips with different programs from David White, and I will be taking the car to the Dyno on 11/16/02 to see the results.
Louis.
Later guys, I am packing to go to Atlanta for the ARRC.


[This message has been edited by LTBMotorsports (edited November 07, 2002).]

-Good Luck at the ARRC. And please post the results of the dyno session asap


[This message has been edited by jasonb (edited November 07, 2002).]

Richy Gonzalez
11-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Yes please. I'm very eager to find out http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
Gonzalez Brothers Racing
#21 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

LTBMotorsports
11-16-2002, 09:16 PM
We took the Delsol today to the Dyno and we got 161 hp running the ECU with a Skunk2 chip and that was the best that I can get out of it, still running a Comptech Header and waitting for Walt Pucket to finish his custom header, I think the Pucket header should yield extra few hp ( or dunkies ).
Louis B.