PDA

View Full Version : DOHC D16A1 head on SOHC D15A3(EW1) block?

Davidov
10-09-2002, 02:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone experienced with older Hondas[specifically the 1st Generation(86-89) Acura Integras and 3rd Generation(84-87) Honda Civics]had done this setup before with good results?

The DOHC 1.6 liter D16A1 head from the Integra engine, onto to the SOHC 1.5 liter D15A3 engine of the Civic Dx (AKA EW1 engine)

The headgasket from the D16 lines up with the D15 block, someone pointed out that there were some coolant channels blocked by the headgasket, but could be reworked with a dremel tool.

I am very interested in this setup, if anyone has tried it out please give me extensive, exhaustive, long-winded details!

UltimateGSX
10-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Changing the head from a dinky SOHC to a dinky DOHC will move you into ITE class. Do you think you can make enough power with that swap to compete. I suggest getting a B18C engine and doing the swap. www.hasport.com (http://www.hasport.com) has a swap kit which includes engine mounts, harnesses ,axles and computer. you will have 180-220 hp to play with. That is a real swap. but if you are wondering the d16 dohc head will fit at d15 block you would need a d16 head, head gasket, and studs, intake manifold, exhaust manifold. and few other minor things. GOOD LUCK

Davidov
10-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Well I have no immediate plans to enter into IT racing, so the only racing this setup would see is autocross, for now.

So you think it would bolt up with no problem?
Are the studs what bolts the head onto the block?

The D16 head maybe dinky compared to it's DOHC predecessors (B-series), but it seems like I could have some more HP to mess with.

racer-025
10-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Dude, I think your in the wrong forum and the wrong website...

benh82
10-11-2002, 11:35 PM
i know for sure that you CANNOT put ANY honda DOHC head on ANY SOHC block. just as you cannot put any sohc head on a dohc block. the motor that you are referring to is the us equivalent to the jdm zc engine. if you want good solid power....find a B16A (first gen cable version) and pop it in your car. go to HAsport.com to get all the info. it will give you a very nice power to weight ratio.

clarky456
10-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Hmm... looks like it fits... any particuliar reason why it SHOULDNT..? Nothing is ever for sure in my garage.