PDA

View Full Version : Carb for 84 Civic 1500S ITC

garrmark
08-28-2002, 04:48 PM
I just bought a 1984 1500S HB that I'd like to prepare for ITC. I'm interested in the rules on what carbs I can use. I see a lot of people using weber 32/26 or 34/34 carbs. Can you use dual carbs? Fuel injection? I know I should buy the GCR, I'm getting there.

Greg Gauper
08-28-2002, 05:10 PM
You are restricted in what you may run.

You can run the stock carb with all pollution control lines removed, choke linkages removed, richer jets, etc. This works very well with the best drivability.

You are allowed certain downdraft 2BBL Webers such as what you listed (DGAV, DMTR come to mind). They DO make more power BUT they are very fussy to set up, and typically stumble a bit. Other than choke plates & jets, you are not permitted to do anything to the carb, i.e. can't hog it out, polish, etc. You are allowed to fit an adapter plate but can't modify the intake manifold.

FI, & side drafts are not permitted.

I would strongly suggest staying with the stock carb if you are just starting out. Get a full season under your belt before you experiment with the Webers. They really are a pain in the a** to set up properly. Rivergate & OPM offer carb set up services for the stock carb that work very well and will give plenty of power.

ITC Racer
08-28-2002, 06:21 PM
I have the Weber 34/34 on my ITC CRX and have not touched it in four years of racing this car (3-5 events per year) in WI/IL area. KMS setup the carb when the engine was built and I have run in 40 to 100 degree weather without problems. My father also runs a similar car with this carb and has also not touched it in several years.

The 34/34 is designed for a front drive car while the 32/36 is designed for a rear drive car so the float bowls are different and running the 32/36 on a front drive car will result in fuel starvation in corners if not rotated or corrected somehow.

Greg Gauper
08-29-2002, 08:29 AM
Actually it wasn't designed for a front wheel drive car, it was used on the Fiat X1/9 which has a transverse mounted mid-engine.

joeg
08-29-2002, 01:30 PM
Same thing, Greg. A FIAT X-19 drivetrain is a 128 transplant.

What was correct about the post is that the 34/34 carb is for "transverse" mounted engines.

Those carbs are not finicky at all!

Greg Gauper
08-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by joeg:

Those carbs are not finicky at all!

Right....and I have some wonderful Enron stock for sale.

R2 Racing
08-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Just do what I do. Just have a carbuerator arsenal! Keep on hand a DGV and a DMTR with a full set of jets, emulsion tubes, etc. for each and a race prepped Honda carb. I seem to only use the Honda carb and the DGV anymore. The Honda is good for drivability but doesn't make the power of the DGV. For example, the DGV has been noticably quicker around Mid Ohio (a quick, more power based track) for me but the Honda is quicker around a track like Gingerman or Grattan (tighter and more twisty). It really depends on the track.

Greg Gauper
08-30-2002, 08:39 AM
And the Weber will always, always, always pick the absolute worst time to COUGH, like just after you passed for the lead in turn 5 at Road America on the last lap...eh Kevin? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif BTW, John's Weber kept coughing in turn 1, that's how I repassed him after he blew past both of us on the front straight....He is running a Weber. But he also ran for cr*p on Saturday until he got it dialed in. And both of you guys burned valves this year too.

I'll stand by my recommendation for somebody starting out....stay with the stock unit and get lots of seat time. There is no substitute for seat time. You want a car that stays consistant so when your lap times drop, it's because you went faster, not the car.

ITC Racer
09-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Yes, the 34/34 is for transverse engines and the 32/36 is for longitudinal engines. I generalized a bit...

I do not recall any coughs from my weber setup although if I run low on fuel, the car starves a bit at Blackhawk in T5. Never had any problems at RA or G-man.

For a newer driver, I would suggest a stock engine and carb since you will usually use up the built engine as you learn to drive. Also, seat time is the best way to learn to drive. Wrenching time can come later...

FireballPhil
09-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I agree about the 34/34 being for the "transverse" mounted engines but the difficult part about that is trying to find a 34/34. If anyone knows a vendor that has the carbs, please let me know.
Thanks,
Phil

ITC Racer
09-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I would check with King Motorsports. I heard they were working on a kit to mount the 32/36 on a transverse engine but do not know the results. 262-593-2800

FireballPhil
09-12-2002, 01:29 PM
ITCRacer, I have emailed King Motorsports I know 3 times and have never received a response from them. I was hoping for another source.
Still looking for a 34/34,
Phil

ITC Racer
09-18-2002, 02:03 PM
You may want to call the guys at King...

joeg
09-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Fireball--I had to look overseas (UK--Demon Tweeks) for a new 34/34 Weber. Price was fair (as usual from Tweeks) but the shipping is a killer.

May I suggest you religiously check eBay.

Also, if you want to try overseas, make certain you know the model number. It is not only a 34 DMTR. I use 34 DMTR 21--there are a number of different suffixes and the carbs are very different.

Good Luck!

FireballPhil
09-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely call King and look up Demon Tweeks. Sorry for the long response time, I was at the Runoffs for a few days.
Phil

CRXfanatic
09-25-2002, 02:26 PM
http://www.piercemanifolds.com
http://www.carbs.net
http://www.redlineweber.com

HTH

badal
09-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by FireballPhil:
Still looking for a 34/34,
Phil[/B]

I have one. Carb, adapter, filter. Set up by Tracy Nine. 1/2 a race old. Paid $400, sell $300.
[email protected]

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series