PDA

View Full Version : CRX door sill lines

Domino
09-24-2002, 09:53 AM
What is the best way to move the lines running the length of the door sills on both the driver and passenger doors? I'm having the cage put in this week and these lines need to be temporarily moved. On the driver side they are fuel related, they don't appear to be "pressure lines." On the passenger side they are the rear brake lines. I'm trying to avoid full removal as they just need to out of the way during the welding of the mounting plates.

Greg Gauper
09-24-2002, 10:04 AM
They are a pain in the a** to remove unless you plan on replumbing the car later i.e. adding a fuel cell or brake proportional valve.

Otherwise use the crude but effective 'gentle bending' method.

Unsnap the lines from the plastic clips.

Push all of the firewall grommets thru the firewall and floor pan. This should give you enough freeplay to gently move the lines around while the cage is being fabricated. Cover the lines with a fireproof cloth so they don't get damaged from the welder!

Helpfull tip....it's a little more work on your part but it will help your cage builder/welder tremendously of you remove the winshield and dash board before you install the cage.

Domino
09-24-2002, 11:52 AM
It is a pain in the a**! I don't plan on replumbing the car yet. The "gentle bending method" would apply to the brake lines but what about the driver-side lines? They are plastic. I can pull all three out of the rubber grommet that goes into the fuel tank but then they are curved around the filler neck.

The dash is already out and the windshield guy will be there the day before.

Greg Gauper
09-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Plastic? What model year CRX do you have?

My old 1st gen CRX and current ITC Civic have 3 metal lines.

On the carb'd cars you have a supply line, a return line and a vent line, all low pressure. You can remove the vent line from the passenger compartment since this just draws air thru the charcol canister to control evaporation emissions. Just leave the vent line connection disconnected at the tank. Some people will block off the return line connection since it doesn't seem to hurt anything on a carb'd engine with the stock low pressure mechanical fuel pump, otherwise make a new line out of brake line after you have the cage built.

The main line is the largest of the three lines and is difficult to work with.

I can't help you out on a late model Si. Anybody else want to chime in?

Domino
09-24-2002, 02:05 PM
It's a '90. All three plastic lines go into the grommet next to the filler connection.

Domino
09-25-2002, 09:10 AM
After looking at it again last night I think that I have been mistaken. There is some free-play once the clips are taken off...but not as much as the brake lines. I guess we'll just wrap the fire blank around them and pull them up and out of the way.

USGUYS
09-26-2002, 01:14 AM
If the lines are plastic then they will have to covered with a metal "firewall". All fuel lines in the passenger compartment must be steel or braided line. I too am surprised at the fact there are plastic ones there.

Domino
09-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by USGUYS:
If the lines are plastic then they will have to covered with a metal "firewall". All fuel lines in the passenger compartment must be steel or braided line. I too am surprised at the fact there are plastic ones there.

I looked at it again the other night and the actual line is steel tubing. The angled elbows looked like black plastic.