PDA

View Full Version : 89 CRX Si problem

BVNitta
09-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Folks:

I inherited an 89 CRX Si from my gf to convert into racecar for the 2004 season. (I currently race a 74 Opel in ITB but it's on its last legs..)

Anyhoo, the CRX used to have some starting trouble, and now it wont start. Here's the sequence:
1) Car turns over pretty good. New starter and battery in good shape.
2) I could smell fuel in the exhaust when I turned it over.
3) Since it had 180K miles I suspected poor compression. So I checked compression. Except for cylinder 2 (which only has 90 #) the other 3 have 150#.
4) Next I checked for spark. No spark ! Plugs and wires were real old so I replaced them. Still no spark.
5)Ignition coil is fairly new. I checked resistances. Look good.
6) Replaced ignition module. Still wont start.
7) All wiring seems in good shape. Not worn out or cut.

Right about this time I'm out of ideas. So I looked up the Haynes manual for trouble codes from the ECU. It said that the LED must be shining if ECU is OK. The LED flashes briefly as I turn the key in the ignition and then goes out. Doesn't set any other codes. Could it be the problem with the ECU ? Any other suggestions ?

Bhima

BVNitta
09-22-2002, 11:25 AM
A minute after I posted this, I read the thread in which Richy had a problem with hot start attributed to the main relay. Could this be the cause of my problem as well ?

Bhima

jc836
09-22-2002, 01:54 PM
Just my experience here-you say it cranks fine. Did you check for spark at a plug? If none-then Ignitor has failed. Ia assume that you have the rotor on tight. Next test is the Main relay, high failure rate so it seems and my problem.
Easy enough to check. Turn key to on position and listen carefully-the main relay should click on and you should also hear the fuel pump. After about 2 seconds the fuel pump will shut off and the light on the cluster will go out. If this does not happen-bad relay.
I am not as expert with early computers-but if there is any reading from the ECU-that is not good right now. I do happen to have a good spare available, but from what I've read and seen, this is not usually the problem.

Good luck

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

BVNitta
09-23-2002, 08:01 AM
I had replaced the ignitor (ignition module) after being informed by others of its high failure rate. (See step 6). It's an el cheapo unit from Pep Boys.

About the main relay: I couldn't find it (car is stock). I shall try to listen for it.

Thanks,

Bhima

jc836
09-23-2002, 11:06 AM
The MAIN Relay is located under the dash and near the Hood Release. You need to take the coin box out and if you look you will see it. There are a few ways to get the retaining bolt out from below-you will need to take the lower dash bolt out as well as the fuse panel cover. Once you find the bolt it comes out with a 10mm wrench and you bring the relay out thru the coin box and swap it.
Good luck

BVNitta
09-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Got the main relay. Getting it out wasn't half as bad as I feared it could be. A while back I changed the multipoint ignition switch on this car. That, my friends, took some flexibility.

Haven't tested it yet.

Bhima