PDA

View Full Version : Wheels suggestions (thanks)

emwavey
09-05-2002, 09:23 AM
A few months ago, I posed the question: Where can I get cheap wheels? (or something like that) One person suggested Borbet Type T wheels, and that's what I finally ended up with.

14"x7" Borbet Type T wheels with Kumho VictorRacer V700 tires, heat cycled.

I was in a bind since I trashed two of the AVS intermediates from hitting a median curb... I know stupid, but it was really dark and the median's break was really whacky, anyway that's another story.

So I bought some cheapo tires for the street mounted on the stock CRX wheels, and have the second set for autocrossing, trackdays and eventually, hopefully, IT racing. (big smile)

However, since I was in a rush and the 14x6s were out of stock I went with the 14x7s and 195/55 series tires at the suggestion of the sales rep. I'm still a bit unsure of this decision, but I figured these should clear my fenders, and when I feel bold enough, I could work the wheels wells a bit to fit wider tires under it eventually. There was one other factor that I think I'm forgetting about with the 7 in. wide wheels. Is it spacers? Brake dust covers? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough... as they'll be test fitted today, and driven on Sat @ Pocono!

-dave

uscrew96
09-05-2002, 02:01 PM
go with 205-55-14 they clear!

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING

uscrew96
09-05-2002, 02:04 PM
you don't say if you car is, si if it is the 14-7 are legal.

jc836
09-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Pocono--
Let us know they they work out for you, whichever size you run. I need to come up with a tire for my 14x6 Motegi MR12s. BTW: The washboard on the North Course gave us fits on 8/10 & 8/11. South is just fine.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

emwavey
09-06-2002, 08:51 AM
Poop! I should have spoke to you earlier, but that's OK. This is my first experience with race tires. The 195's are going to be just fine for my novice butt. Next time I'll go with the 205s, but is that on a 6, 6 1/2, or 7" wide wheel? From what I've been told it makes a difference.

Without pushing it too hard, the tires don't rub. I'll be better able to tell after the track day Sat., oh yeah tomorrow!

The only problem, I don't have a torque wrench yet (that will change by lunchtime today), and the tire-iron I usually use is too thick to fit properly into the lug hole. Also, no where did I see on tirerack that the Borbet type Ts were hub centric, not that I care much, but it would have been nice to know. The nice thing is they came when they were supposed to, FedEx did great, and tirerack sent deeper lugs along with the rims.

uscrew96: I have a '90 CRX Si, though I don't race in IT (yet), I do autocross and do track days. I figured the 14x7 would be a good investment. Though I see many people run 13x8,9,or10's in my class, I run in events that have fairly open courses, and the 13's seem to make the drivers do a bit more shifting.

jc836: We're doing the North Coarse this Sat. The washboard is that braking zone bumps? If so thanks for the heads up.

Thanks again guys!
dave

jc836
09-06-2002, 09:30 AM
The washboard is actually in the center of the turn a right hand one. If my menory (sometimes confused) is right it would be the one before the short chute. I tried every line I could to stay off of it and still found that there was little I could do other than run over it. Let me know what you discover. I spoke to many other drivers and they were also having trouble with it. This was NOT the case when we ran the infield coming off the Long Pond straight-only coming off the front straight. Go figure. BTW: were you there for PDA on 8/10-11?

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

emwavey
09-06-2002, 02:31 PM
jc836: Thanks for the info on the washboard... no, t'was not me. Aside from this one comming up, I haven't been to any track days this year. Lot's of autocrossing though. I was hoping to do at least a couple FATTs this year, but looks like that will have to wait until next year (judging from the novice waiting list). Besides I need to stay on my wife's good side for a little while.

I'm lucky she hasn't seriously mamed me for ordering the wheels and tires without telling her. Bad, bad me. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif "... but honey they'll fit on your car, too."

Truth be told she's actually cool with it, she's driving in the Pocono event, too.

dave

uscrew96
09-22-2002, 06:28 AM
they fit on ether.

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING

uscrew96
09-22-2002, 06:34 AM
We use pannasports (7")and revalotion,(6").