PDA

View Full Version : Tranny OIL?

UltimateGSX
08-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Hi I just finished building my tranny with a quaife differential and a 4.40:1 final gear. I do not know what type of oil should i use? Stock honda oil or a special MIX. On my street CAR I use special mix of RED line oils. But i want to know what should i use in the honda Gearbox? its a Acura Integar.

Tom Blaney
08-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I leared from the board, I use to use Redline MTL, but kept breaking shift forks. I started to use standard Mobil 1 10-30 and now the box shifts fine, hasn't broken a fork, and I am a happy camper.

jasonb
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
I leared from the board, I use to use Redline MTL, but kept breaking shift forks. I started to use standard Mobil 1 10-30 and now the box shifts fine, hasn't broken a fork, and I am a happy camper.

I take it you are running a diff as well. Any additives or anything?

Tom Blaney
08-20-2002, 06:18 AM
I am running a quaffe, and I use 10-30 mobil 1 without any additives. I change it every 3rd weekend along with engine oil.

Why did you go with a 4.4 ratio? I think most of us are using a 4.7.

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited August 20, 2002).]

mock1
08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I still have the stock trans 90,000 on the clock and 11,000 track miles. I used to use redline, but after 2 years my trans started to shift rough and whine. I went back to the stock honda fluid and now it's like new again. In the past I've ran 24 sprint races before changing fluid. Now I change it twice a season. It's hard to beat honda parts.
Don

Richy Gonzalez
08-21-2002, 08:20 AM
My tranny has 122K miles on it. Prior to the car getting on track, I don't think the oil was ever changed. Yes, that goes for the clutch too. Since then, I've replace the tranny fluid with Mobil 1 10w-30 Synthetic. After about 12 hours of track time, everything is still smooth.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
Gonzalez Brothers Racing
#21 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah)

jasonb
08-21-2002, 02:08 PM
So what should be used, synthetic or just plain old 10w30 or 40? Most everyone I talk to says to use regular 10w40, but then a few people are using synthetic.

UltimateGSX
08-21-2002, 03:59 PM
The stock one was 4.26 and i used 4.40 becouse it was free from the 94+ Integra.
So is mobil 1 10W-30 better or Factory honda tranny oil? I still Im confused.

Why did you go with a 4.4 ratio? I think most of us are using a 4.7.

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited August 20, 2002).][/B]

davew
08-21-2002, 04:14 PM
most do not recoment mobil 1 or other sythetics due to their very low shear streagths. I prefer Redline over the honda MTL for racing as it is formulated to last longer in higher temp environments. But I also use the light weight shockproof as opposed to the MTL as I find it stands up to abuse better.

-dave w

UltimateGSX
08-22-2002, 12:03 PM
So you prefer Redline MTL with a mix of ShockProof oil? What ratio do you mix them togother. I will be putting oil in the tranny this weekend to get ready for next weekend race. So far most people use Mobil 1 over the Honda MTL and over REd Line. I used a mix of Red line MTL and mix of Red line Gear oil and my tranny was getting harder and harder to get into gear. So i will try both oils this time Mobil 1, and then Honda MTL. to see which one works better.

Originally posted by davew:
I prefer Redline over the honda MTL for racing as it is formulated to last longer in higher temp environments. But I also use the light weight shockproof as opposed to the MTL as I find it stands up to abuse better.

-dave w

UltimateGSX
09-09-2002, 04:21 PM
MObile 1 syntetic 10w-30 worked great. No gear grinds or anything. I now recommend people to try it out.