PDA

View Full Version : CRXsi Broken Shifter Torque Arm

Mark Seaman
08-12-2002, 08:10 PM
Ok, so yesterday I'm at Blackhawk about three laps into the race. I've managed to get my 3rd place position back from the guy who got me on the start. The leader, who has us all covered by 2 seconds in qualifying, spins off so now I'm second. Things are going pretty well. The leader is not too far ahead. At the end of the main straight I'm in heavy braking. I heel/toe down into 3rd, pick up the gas and no 3rd!! No 2nd, no nothing!!!DNF!!!

Post mortem inspection finds the shifter torque arm broken about 1/3 of the way forward. It looks like it bent first and then just sheared in two. Its made out thin wall tubing about 1" in diameter. With no torque arm the shifter goes limp and won't do anything.

Has anyone else had this happen? Has anyone got a "torque rod" as its described in the service manual? If you do, please let me know. I have a race in two weeks. I have bad feelings this will be a hard junk yard part to find. I think I can weld up broken one but I think it has to be done just right for the shifter to work properly.

Please don't make snide remarks about the size of my biceps or walking and chewing gum at the same time!
Mark Seaman ITA #42

racer-025
08-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Check your motor & transmission mounts. They may be beat. Especially the rear transmission mount. You may be getting to much torque play in the engine on down shifting causing flexing in the transmission torque arm. Check the broken shaft closely to see if it was broken awile ago (rustly edges in the break).

uscrew96
08-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Hope you get fixed. ;P

------------------
Mike Machi crew chief USGUYS RACING