PDA

View Full Version : DX shell in ITA

Tyson
08-10-2002, 05:20 PM
So if you can swap out the roof skin of a Si with a DX within the rules of substituting the sunroof panel, whats to say you cant just start from a complete DX shell, swap out the brakes, suspension, steering and engine and viola, Si sans sunroof? Is the shell any different than a Si? extra bracing here or there or what? I dont think so to my knowledge tho. Primary difference was engine and sunroof and brakes, oh right and the rear wiper for the hatch.... Anyone know for sure?

Kirk, calm down.... breathe... im just inquiring. No ones cheating... cheat-ing..... yet http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Knestis
08-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Deep breaths... Deeeeeep breaths.

(edit - had troulbe typing witht paper bag ovre my face)

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 10, 2002).]

Knestis
08-10-2002, 11:39 PM
OK, I went and had a phad thai and a couple of Singhas and am back.

Nope - still not legal. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

This is NOT to say that I haven't looked longingly at the pile of DX Coupes that live in this college town, and had impure EX thoughts myself. Heck, I have even thought of building a faux EK4 SiR or Vti out of a DX hatch and a B16A2 out of one of those goofy DelSols, to try to pass off as a GrN rally car to run the North American FIA championship...

At the end of the day, for IT purposes, it doesn't matter if the shells ARE the same or not - the numbers have to match the car on the spec line under which you are running. NOW, if the VIN doesn't discriminate between a DX and an Si, that might be a different deal. You would, of course, have to run ALL of the Si parts that are particular to that model, and NONE of the DX parts. Frankly, it would probably be easier to cut the roof off of the DX and Frankengraft it onto the Si (which also makes the cage a cinch to weld). Or spend the $500 to have a body shop put a new skin on it.

My data also tells me that the Si is some 170# heavier from the factory - is that all accounted for in the roof and engine? I dunno.

Would it be cheaper? Perhaps not, given the resale value of the Si. The blue book numbers on "good" cars puts the premium for an Si (over a DX) at something between $700-1200, depending in the year.

Kirk

(edit - BTW, if it isn't obvious already, you are talking about something that is very close to my current interest! And you DO know that the Si is an ITS car, right?)

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 10, 2002).]

Tyson
08-11-2002, 01:03 AM
actually, im talking about CRX's... it would be mainly because DX shells are indeed cheaper to find and thus more likely to be in better shape. but yeah, i was casually ignoring the VIN thing... it does discern between Si and DX. anyhow, anyone still know if the shells are different? just for knowledge's sake.

krshultz
08-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Gentlemen!

I am *told* that the Si -> DX swap is not a legal IT thing. It's a shame really. I have seen, up close and personal, ITA Civic Si and DX shells. They're effectively identical.

Kirk, on weight - don't forget things like this:

- Sunroof glass, motor, frame
- Rear wiper and motor
- Power windows/locks (maybe)
- Larger engine
- Bigger wheels, I think
- Cruise control (maybe)
- ABS (maybe)
- power antenna (maybe)
- A/C
- Foglights?

I'm of course assuming your data are comparing a base Si to a base DX. And I'm no trim-level-for-Civics-expert so...thins I mentioned like Cruise on an Si might not exist.

The sunroof paraphanalia that I pulled out of the GS-R weighed 50lbs all day long. The cruise servo was surprisingly heavy too. I pulled 300 pounds out of my GS-R and the strip job itself is IT legal (the weight, even with my fat a$$ in the car, is not http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif ). So I can totally see a 170 pound diff between two base cars.

YMMV...

johng
08-13-2002, 01:01 AM
Also keep in mind the 5th Gen Civic Si has power steering and the DX doesn't. Not sure though if the entire pump assembly from the Si can be removed in accordance with the rules.

Sorry Tyson, you were talking about a CRX.

------------------
1994 Civic DX - ITA #93

[This message has been edited by johng (edited August 13, 2002).]

jc836
08-13-2002, 05:00 AM
The way the rules are structured-you cannot start with a DX shell and put an Si motor in. You can start with an Si chassis and put any of the 3 motors in. The issue is one of trim levels and you are better off in the end going with the lightest but highest trim level possible. What you suggest will work with an F Prod car-another topic and forum.
My 89 Si is reskinned in accordance with the last lines of the rule. The panel was hail damaged to the point it was cheaper to replace it and close the hole using a DX skin.
Might I speculate that the HF (which is the lightest of the 3) is more like my Civic HB in that there is virtually no added anything in it for sound deadening. If you are gutting a 2nd gen, the weights should be about the same regardless of chassis variant.
Just my input.

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited August 13, 2002).]