PDA

View Full Version : Cam specs and milling

ChrisP
08-06-2002, 12:52 AM
First off, i should point out that i'm not using my 1st gen CRX SI for IT racing and these mods are most likely not allowed. However they do fit the rules for the series i am running and my hope is that some of you people have a little expirence in this area.

1)What kinda cam profiles would work well with this setup?
-Port and Polish
-Header
-Intake
-Increased compression
-No Cat
-Straight exhust with exhust

2)How much can i take off the head and safely run the engine?
3)Would it be best to mill the head AND block?
3)What are my options for running a thinner head gasket?
4)Any advice or tips would be much appriciated

ChrisP
08-08-2002, 02:08 AM
hmmm, nothing. i figured one of your CRX gurus would have some idea about this type of thing. Guess not

Could somebody please direct me somewhere that this info can be found?

Thanks

bbp
08-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Chris,

As you mentioned most of those mods are not IT legal. Anyone who has done any of those things listed to their car certainly would not post it here. I know the "rule nerds" are watching this thread very closely!!

try honda-tech.com

Knestis
08-08-2002, 08:18 PM
(lurk mode off)

You might try honda-tech.com but the guys in the road racing forum will probably have the same response. Try the street nutz.

Kirk

(lurk mode on)

Tyson
08-08-2002, 09:44 PM
i agree with kirk. why is it that ppl come to a improved touring website and ask things or talk of things totally unrelated to improved touring? (very rhetorical)

also worth mentioning, there are ppl who make a lot of money knowing and executing that information. you can either pay them to do it for you, or pay lots of money to figure it out yourself.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited August 08, 2002).]

ChrisP
08-09-2002, 01:31 AM
My only problem with Honda Tech is that threads about 1st gen rexs are few and far between. But alas, what option am I left with, honda tech it is. I wonder if my pass still works........

What is street nutz? or should I say where is street nutz?

Tyson,
Ok, so maybe asking unrelated IT stuff is a waste of space on a IT related site. However, I would imagine some people here have not always run IT and may have run there car in GT(X) or some other SCCA class that has more open rules. Or maybe some past CRX guru is lurking, maybe he no longer does anything with the 1st gen CRX and is a wealth of information but has moved onto greater and better things. You never know!
Yes, I could go out and spend a lot of money getting the engine built up by somebody or spend a bigger amount of money developing my own stuff. Or maybe, somebody has already gone through all this shit and knows what works and what doesn’t.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. If you can think of any other site where I may find this kinda if I would most appreciate it.

Tyson
08-09-2002, 01:45 AM
contact rivergate http://www.rivergate5speed.com/competition.html seems like they know their 1st gens. if youre on the west coast, rebello is the best engine builder, sunbelt in the east. contact them if you can milk some info.

JayG
08-09-2002, 11:04 AM
ChrisP
I am not in IT any longer, run a 1st gen CRX in GP, and check this site just about daily for tips, tricks, or general info. I guess I would be on of those, (some ppl).
Anyway, about the subject at hand, I had a cam ground for my car by Geoff @ colt cams in Canada. He is very helpful and knows quite a bit about these engines. He will work with you on whatever you want and might even have a grind you need. Prices are very good too!
www.coltcams.com (http://www.coltcams.com)
By the way, I found out about colt cams on this very web site. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that stock cams are REQUIRED in IT!

1st gen CRX,
Formerly ITA, now GP,
JayG

racer-025
08-09-2002, 11:24 AM
ChrisP,

You are definately in the wrong forum. You might try the Production forum. They may have some answers to your questions.
http://members.boardhost.com/salisbury_j/

ChrisP
08-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the contact info. I'm just leaving for the track know but i will be sure to contact them on tuesday.

Knestis
08-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ChrisP:
What is street nutz? or should I say where is street nutz?

They are the "nutz" who tweak their cars for street use, where there aren't any rules.

To be clear, I was not suggesting that you were being a time-waster. I was just trying to help out.

Kirk