PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove a sunroof for 86 CRX??

team_co_op
07-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Looking for suggestions to remove the sunroof mechanicals in my CRX and replace the panel.

jc836
07-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Not sure if the panel is available, but the rules do allow you to completely replace the oouter skin with a solid factory panel.. Taking the mechanicals out is quite simple after you remove the headliner panel. There are only a few bolts holding up. Doing the skin is quite another matter. This can be done with an insert formed to fit the hole or as I did-buy the panel and have your chassis shop (auto body) cut the old roof away and weld the new panel in. I have a 2nd gen and the panel is available from Honda for the DX-so that is what we put in my ITA Si. If you cannot get a new panel, ask a salvager to go on the national teletype network and locate a 1986 car with a good roof unit and you can work from there. I realize this is not the cheap solution.

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
'96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
'99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

L8BRK
07-31-2002, 03:03 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but on the same type CRX can you leave all the mechanicals in and run with the sunroof closed, without welding or any fasteners to secure other than all the mechanicals and still be legal?
I do not have my GCR with me right now. I know the high CG weight factor, it is better to take it out, but right now money and time is an issue. I will later weld in some type of panel.
Thanks

nlevine
07-31-2002, 06:54 PM
On my '87 CRX Si, I removed the headliner and the few bolts that hold in the entire assembly - panel stays attached to the motor/track assembly (it hurt a little when it fell on me, but that's another story). I then removed the panel, had it placed in the closed position, and then had straps welded between the panel and interior roof to hold it in place. You can then throw a bead of caulk around the exterior seal to make it a little more rainproof (nothing like having it rain inside the car during a wet race). As I don't think any Si of that vintage came without a sunroof, so I do not believe you can completely weld a piece of steel in place of the panel (isn't that just to replace glass panels?).

-noam

L8BRK
08-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks nlevine. I think I'am going to go that route or just leave it as is for a while.

jc836
08-02-2002, 08:07 PM
The GCR is quite specific about the modifications allowed and required. The fact is simple-you can strap it shut, weld a plate on the roof (ugly) take everything out and weld a plate in the hole - OR - do what i wrote above-replace the entire roof panel with one from the same generation that does not have a sunroof (2nd gen DX). It is completely legal as it is also a repair in most cases anyway (rustout). The only part you are required to retain is the actual understructure that holds the body together-the new skin will weld in perfectly. You are also allowed to completely remove the wiring harness and switch assembly as they are rendered useless.
Another mod permitted if you complete gut the car is the removal of the dome light and annunciator lights (on the mirror) and their wiring as well. Want to go further-I removed and tied back or cut off all of thwiring for the seatbelt warning system along with the E-brake light circuit. I went back inside the harness and shrinkwrapped the cut off wires and put them in a baggy in my toolbox.

All of these were done after long chats with the national office (Aaron and Sven).

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited August 02, 2002).]